The Taiwan High Court yesterday said it was trying to dissuade a judge from resigning after criticism of a recent ruling that saw the sentence of former Presidential Office deputy secretary-general Chen Che-nan (陳哲男) reduced from nine years in prison to seven months.
In a statement yesterday, which High Court judge Chen Heng-kuan (陳恆寬) released through the High Court, Judge Chen — one of three court members in Chen Che-nan’s case — said that as a court official, he should be responsible for the controversial verdict. He added he had tendered his resignation.
Chen Heng-kuan said in the statement that the most important foundation of the judiciary was the public’s trust.
He added that the latest ruling in Chen Che-nan’s case, in addition to the recent furor in which it is alleged that three Taiwan High Court judges took bribes in return for acquitting a former lawmaker of corruption charges, had all further impairing the public’s confidence in the nation’s judiciary.
On Tuesday, the High Court cited evidence that Chen Che-nan accepted NT$6 million (US$197,200) from businessman Liang Po-hsun (梁柏薰) in 2002 and promised in return to use his influence to settle two court cases involving Liang.
In both Chen Che-nan’s first and second trials, handled by the Taipei District Court and the Taiwan High Court, he was found guilty and given hefty sentences.
However, after Chen Che-nan won an appeal which led to the third trial on Tuesday, the ruling said because his post at the Presidential Office did not involve conducting judicial investigations, the money he took was unrelated to his work and hence he had committed fraud, not corruption.
Local media reported that in the Chen Che-nan case, presiding judge Tseng ter-shui (曾德水) was of the opinion that Chen-Che-nan committed fraud — a less serious crime compared with a corruption charge — and wanted to give him a lighter sentence, while Chen Heng-kuan and judge Tsui Ling-chi (崔玲琦) harbored a different opinion, with Chen Heng-kuan insisting that he believed Chen Che-nan was guilty of corruption and hence should be given a heavy sentence.
The High Court yesterday said Tsui had applied to leave Tseng’s court as a sign of protest at the ruling.
Meanwhile, Chen Heng-kuan, alleging that High Court judges enjoy too much power, said he hoped his resignation could lead to some reform in the High Court.
When asked for comment, Tseng yesterday said: “The ruling [of the Chen Che-nan case] was just.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not