The National Federation of Independent Trade Unions yesterday led labor representatives in a protest against the Council of Labor Affairs’ (CLA) proposed changes to the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) involving contract and temporary employees.
The council yesterday held one of several hearings to gather opinions on the proposed amendments to the act, which would include regulations and restrictions on businesses’ and hiring agencies’ use of contract and temporary workers.
However, more than half of the union and labor representatives invited to the meeting refused to attend to show their opposition to the proposed changes. Those who did attend said they came to voice their opposition.
The protesters set up a rope to block the front of the CLA building with a sign that read “Contract Labor Stops Here” to symbolize their unwillingness to support the council’s proposal to legalize non-standard employment relations such as contract and temporary work.
The groups called for laws to completely abolish the contract work system.
“The CLA’s loosening of restrictions on contract work invites suspicion that the proposed amendments were made to benefit temp agencies,” Confederation of Taiwan Trade Unions chairman Chiang Wan-king (蔣萬金) said.
The council’s list of industries that are not permitted to use contract labor means that all other companies can legally hire contract workers, which would result in a large increase in such non-standard employment across a wide variety of industries and sectors and cause more labor exploitation, Chiang said.
Government statistics showed that the number of Taiwanese workers on short-term and temporary contracts reached 687,000 in May last year, a significant increase from 130,000 in 2003 and 60,000 in 1996.
In response, the council said yesterday that because the country’s labor laws strictly prohibit hiring agencies from signing fixed-term contracts with workers, contract workers would not lose their jobs with the hiring agency once their term contracts have expired
The council said that it would continue to hold hearings to gather opinion and reach consensus on amending labor rules.
The council’s proposed changes include capping the percentage of a company’s contract workforce at 3 percent. However, a company would still be able to hire contract workers to make up 20 percent of its total workforce provided it receives union approval and a majority of employees are union members.
The proposed changes would also prohibit hiring contract workers in certain industries, such as the medical, security, airline, marine, public transportation and coal mining industries.
The proposal came after the Control Yuan censored the council for what it said was a failure to adequately regulate the temporary and contract labor market and crack down on hiring agencies that violate labor rules.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: