In a petition to the Control Yuan yesterday, the Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) accused the Referendum Review Committee of exceeding its authority by rejecting the party’s referendum proposal on the government’s planned cross-strait trade pact.
“We hope the Control Yuan members will favor the side of justice and punish members of the Referendum Review Committee who violated the Constitution and deprived people of the right to hold a referendum,” TSU Secretary-General Lin Chih-chia (林志嘉) said yesterday.
On June 3 the Referendum Review Committee rejected a TSU referendum initiative that would have asked voters: “Do you agree that the government should sign an economic cooperative framework agreement [ECFA] with China?”
PHOTO: CNA
The committee said “the referendum question’s content and purpose were contradictory” and hence invalid under Article 14, Section 1.4 of the Referendum Act’ (公民投票法).
The act states that referendum questions must not have a “contradiction or obvious error in the content of the proposal, thus making the intention of the proposal not understandable.”
Rebutting the ruling, the TSU on June 6 showed a letter dated May 5 from the Central Elections Commission (CEC) to TSU Chairperson Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) that said a CEC meeting held a day earlier did not find a conflict between the referendum proposal and any parts of Article 14, Section 1 of the act.
Citing the act’s Article 3 that stipulates the Executive Yuan as the governing body of the Referendum Act and a public notice by the Executive Yuan with the serial number 0930083141-A that said the CEC is commissioned by the Executive Yuan to handle affairs in connection with the act, the TSU argues the CEC has the authority to process decisions on all parts of Article 14.
TSU Deputy Secretary-General Liu Yi-teh (劉一德) yesterday said the Control Yuan should punish CEC officials for not even trying to defend their authority.
“It was obvious that the members of the Referendum Review Committee had exceeded their powers but CEC officials didn’t say a word,” Liu said. “It was negligence of duty and it impaired the rights of the public.”
The petition was received by Control Yuan member Shen Mei-chen (沈美真).
In related news, an opinion poll released by the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday suggested most Taiwanese harbor doubts over the ECFA.
DPP poll center director Chen Chun-lin (陳俊麟) told a press conference that the poll found 47 percent of respondents who indicated they favor the pan-green camp said there is no hurry to sign the treaty while 45 percent said they were against signing the pact.
While the poll showed 44 percent of people who indicated they favor the pan-blue camp said they supported signing the pact as soon as possible, it also found that another 44 percent said they see no urgency to sign the pact now.
The poll showed that 50 percent of people who indicated they had no political affiliation believed there was no need to rush to sign the pact now, while 17 percent said they were against the proposal, with 12 percent in favor.
The poll also showed that nearly 50 percent of respondents agreed that while an ECFA would bring Taiwan short-term benefits, they believed it would jeopardize Taiwan’s interests in the long-run, with 39 percent disagreeing.
The poll, held on Monday, sampled 1,093 voters aged 20 and over. The poll has an overall margin of error of 3.02 percent.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a