Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) yesterday ordered the National Police Agency to work closely with prosecutors to catch the mastermind behind recent allegations of game-fixing in professional baseball.
“It grieves the public to see these repeated occurrences of gambling in professional baseball games. Throwing a game is ... an act of cheating and failure to differentiate between right and wrong,” Wu was quoted by Cabinet Spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) as saying.
Wu made the remarks at a closed-door Cabinet-level meeting held regularly to review the government's performance in maintaining public order.
During the same meeting, Minister of the Interior (MOI) Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) said law enforcement officials would also prioritize implementing the newly amended Statute for Narcotics Hazard Control (毒品危害防制條例), which imposes heavier penalties on drug users, as well as measures against bicycle theft.
The ministry said that the number of reported bicycle thefts in the first three quarters of this year reached 2,843 — a 19.1 percent increase over the same period last year. Of those, 1,450 were recovered.
One of the anti-theft measures calls for bicycle producers to etch a serial number on each bicycle and for retailers to keep records of buyers to establish a bicycle registration database, the ministry said.
The ministry also reported that a third-quarter survey showed that only 36.37 percent of the public was satisfied with public order, an increase of 9.04 percentage points from the previous quarter.
The survey also showed that 14.6 percent of the public considered violent crimes a serious issue, down 4 points from the previous quarter; 29.26 percent said theft was a serious problem, down 3.05 points; and 44.39 percent expressed concern over the seriousness of fraud cases, down 6.43 points.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not