Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said yesterday that immediate action should be taken to deal with the scandal over rampant bribery during the recent Central Standing Committee (CSC) election.
“Speculation about election bribery has clouded the party’s reputation and we need to address this issue immediately and change the situation,” Ma said as he campaigned for the party’s nominee in the Kinmen County Commissioner election, Lee Wuo-shih (李沃士), on Kinmen yesterday morning.
It was Ma’s first public response to the bribery allegations and to a wave of resignations from CSC members who said they were stepping down to force the party to hold a new election.
However, it is believed that Ma was behind the resignations of almost all the CSC members, as a by-election could only be organized when enough CSC members have resigned to ensure that the committee — the party’s highest decision-making body — no longer has enough members to function.
The KMT has called a CSC by-election for Nov. 14, even though two committee members are refusing to quit their seats: KMT Taipei City Councilor Li Keng Kuei-fang (厲耿桂芳) and Taipei County Council Speaker Chen Hsin-ching (陳幸進).
The rest of the committee had resigned by Saturday amid accusations of widespread vote-buying in the Oct. 11 election.
The party said yesterday that it was considering centralizing all voting booths in Taipei for the by-election to prevent vote buying.
Li Keng and Chen, however, continued to raise doubts yesterday about the legitimacy of the resignations by the other committee members.
“I think a by-election should be called by Chairman Ma. I cherish the election certificate issued by the party and a by-election initiated by CSC members is not legitimate,” Li Keng said.
She said she didn’t feel that was resigning was necessary.
However, she said would cooperate with whatever the final decision is made during the committee’s meeting today.
Chen, on the other hand, insisted on his innocence and said that pressuring all the CSC members to resign was an insult to members who were not involved in vote buying.
“It is not legitimate for the party and society to pressure the elected members to resign. I will respect the party’s final decision, but I will not offer my resignation,” he said.
Ma will finalize the date for the new election and the voting system during tonight’s provisional CSC meeting.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not