The Penghu County Government plans to protect cacti that grow on the county’s 90 islands because they are threatened by an increasing number of prickly pear pickers. Although cacti are endemic to Penghu County, their economic value has only recently been noticed because of the development of tourism.
Prickly pears — fruits from a variety of cactus — are now used to make pastries, juice, vinegar, ice cream or as a cooking ingredient.
“As prickly pears gain popularity, more people in Penghu now work as part-time cactus fruit pickers for extra income,” Penghu County Government’s Agriculture and Fisheries Bureau Director Cheng Ming-yuan (鄭明源) said via a telephone interview. “This is good news and bad news at the same time.”
The good news is that the growing popularity of prickly pears has created a new industry in Penghu, with the county government planning to create cactus farms and encourage cactus horticulture. However, the bad news is that inappropriate practices in picking the fruit are threatening wild cacti in the county, Cheng said.
“For example, in order to get to the center of a cactus bush to get to the fruit, some people place large wooden boards horizontally over the bush and simply walk into it using the board,” he said. “Cacti on the perimeter of the bush wind up dead when they do that.”
Because of inappropriate fruit picking practices, Cheng said he has observed a decline in cactus vegetation in some areas of the county and is worried that wild cacti may soon disappear if the county government doesn’t intervene.
“We do realize that we can’t have people patrolling cacti since we don’t have that many people and that much money. But we’ll try to ask each village to take care of the cactus fields near them. We’ll also leave space in between cacti so that the fruit can be more accessible to pickers,” he said.
Considering that most countries issue more than five denominations of banknotes, the central bank has decided to redesign all five denominations, the bank said as it prepares for the first major overhaul of the banknotes in more than 24 years. Central bank Governor Yang Chin-lung (楊金龍) is expected to report to the Legislative Yuan today on the bank’s operations and the redesign’s progress. The bank in a report sent to the legislature ahead of today’s meeting said it had commissioned a survey on the public’s preferences. Survey results showed that NT$100 and NT$1,000 banknotes are the most commonly used, while NT$200 and NT$2,000
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the first case of a new COVID-19 subvariant — BA.3.2 — in a 10-year-old Singaporean girl who had a fever upon arrival in Taiwan and tested positive for the disease. The girl left Taiwan on March 20 and the case did not have a direct impact on the local community, it said. The WHO added the BA.3.2 strain to its list of Variants Under Monitoring in December last year, but this was the first imported case of the COVID-19 variant in Taiwan, CDC Deputy Director-General Lin Ming-cheng (林明誠) said. The girl arrived in Taiwan on
ANNUAL EVENT: Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in Daan Park, with an event zone operating from 10am to 6pm This year’s Taipei Floral Picnic is to be held at Daan Park today and tomorrow, featuring an exclusive Pokemon Go event, a themed food market, a coffee rave picnic area and stage performances, the Taipei Department of Information and Tourism said yesterday. Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in the park as attractions, with an exclusive event zone operating from 10am to 6pm, it said. Participants who complete designated tasks on-site would have a chance to receive limited-edition souvenirs, it added. People could also try the newly launched game Pokemon Pokopia in the trial area, the department said. Three PokeStops are
South Korea is planning to revise its controversial electronic arrival card, a step Taiwanese officials said prompted them to hold off on planned retaliatory measures, a South Korean media report said yesterday. A Yonhap News Agency report said that the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs is planning to remove the “previous departure place” and “next destination” fields from its e-arrival card system. The plan, reached after interagency consultations, is under review and aims to simplify entry procedures and align the electronic form with the paper version, a South Korean ministry official said. The fields — which appeared only on the electronic form