The Taipei District Court yesterday appointed another attorney to help with former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) case and alleviate the workload of Chen’s first court-appointed attorney, Tseng Te-rong (曾德榮).
It was the first time the Taipei District Court had appointed two public defenders to represent a defendant.
The court said yesterday that because the case is complicated and involved the presidential “state affairs fund,” a land deal, money laundering and a second indictment by prosecutors, the workload was too heavy for Tseng to handle alone.
After some discussion, the court arranged for a second attorney, Tang Chen-chi (唐禎祺), to represent Chen.
The 40-year-old Tang has 14 years of experience as a public defender at the Taipei District Court and has considerable experience handling corruption cases.
Meanwhile, former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) yesterday visited her husband at the Taipei Detention Center and encouraged him to meet Tang.
The Taipei District Court last week appointed Tseng to represent the former president after Chen told Presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) he would dismiss all three of his lawyers and not call his remaining witnesses.
Tseng tried to visit the former president last week, but Chen refused to see him, sending a note informing him that he was taking this action in protest against “an unfair judicial system.”
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬), who accompanied Wu during her visit, told reporters that Wu encouraged Chen to meet his lawyer to avoid dragging out the trial.
“[Chen] said that if [Tseng] were really that good, then he should get him out of detention first,” Gao said.
Chen has been held at the Taipei Detention Center since Dec. 30 on charges including money laundering, embezzlement and corruption.
He was indicted on Dec. 12 and charged with illegally receiving or embezzling NT$490 million (US$15 million).
He has repeatedly denied the charges and has denounced his trial as political persecution.
Kenting National Park service technician Yang Jien-fon (楊政峰) won a silver award in World Grand Prix Photography Awards Spring Season for his photograph of two male rat snakes intertwined in combat. Yang’s colleagues at Kenting National Park said he is a master of nature photography who has been held back by his job in civil service. The awards accept entries in all four seasons across six categories: architectural and urban photography, black-and-white and fine art photography, commercial and fashion photography, documentary and people photography, nature and experimental photography, and mobile photography. Awards are ranked according to scores and divided into platinum, gold and
More than half of the bamboo vipers captured in Tainan in the past few years were found in the city’s Sinhua District (新化), while other districts had smaller catches or none at all. Every year, Tainan captures about 6,000 snakes which have made their way into people’s homes. Of the six major venomous snakes in Taiwan, the cobra, the many-banded krait, the brown-spotted pit viper and the bamboo viper are the most frequently captured. The high concentration of bamboo vipers captured in Sinhua District is puzzling. Tainan Agriculture Bureau Forestry and Nature Conservation Division head Chu Chien-ming (朱健明) earlier this week said that the
BREACH OF CONTRACT: The bus operators would seek compensation and have demanded that the manufacturer replace the chips with ones that meet regulations Two bus operators found to be using buses with China-made chips are to demand that the original manufacturers replace the systems and provide compensation for breach of contract, the Veterans Affairs Council said yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Michelle Lin (林楚茵) yesterday said that Da Nan Bus Co and Shin-Shin Bus Co Ltd have fielded a total of 82 buses that are using Chinese chips. The bus models were made by Tron-E, while the systems provider was CYE Electronics, Lin said. Lin alleged that the buses were using chips manufactured by Huawei subsidiary HiSilicon Co, which presents a national security risk if the
The National Immigration Agency has banned two Chinese from returning to Taiwan, after they published social media content it described as disrespectful to national sovereignty. The agency imposed a two-month ban on a Chinese man surnamed Liang (梁) and a permanent ban on a woman surnamed Yang (楊), an influencer with 23 million followers, in October last year and last week respectively. Minister of the Interior Liu Shyh-fang (劉世芳) yesterday said on the sidelines of a legislative meeting that Chinese visitors to Taiwan are required to comply with the rules and regulations governing their entry permits. The government has handled the ban and