The government has no plans to demand that Tokyo recall Interchange Association Representative Masaki Saito and the Japanese government has said that Saito’s recent comments on Taiwan’s status do not reflect the country’s official stance, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) told a group of lawmakers yesterday.
Another deputy minister of foreign affairs, Andrew Hsia (夏立言), on Friday summoned Saito, the representative of the Japanese de facto embassy, to lodge a protest against comments he made at an academic forum in Chiayi County on Friday when he said Taiwan’s status remains “unresolved.”
A Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ press release said that during the meeting, Saito apologized for his remarks and said his comments were his own opinion and did not represent the view of his government.
REFRAIN
The ministry also said Saito had promised to refrain from making similar comments in the future.
Reporters were not allowed to attend the meeting between Hsia and Saito.
When asked by the Taipei Times for a transcript of the meeting, ministry spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) said there was none and that the public “needs to trust the government.”
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and independence supporters, however, said Saito had nothing to apologize for because he had merely told the truth.
SUPPORT
DPP Legislator Chai Trong-rong (蔡同榮) visited the ministry with seven colleagues yesterday to show their support for Saito.
Chai challenged Lin to an open debate on the issue, as Lin has said it was an indisputable fact that the territory of the Republic of China includes Taiwan, and Interchange Association President Atsushi Hatakenaka has suggested to Taiwan’s representative to Japan that Saito’s comments did not represent that of the Japanese government.
The spokesman said the incident had not affected Taiwan-Japan relations.
This is the second time Taiwan-Japan ties have been tested since the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) returned to power in May last year.
In June last year, Japan apologized to Taiwan after a coast guard patrol vessel sank a Taiwanese fishing boat around the disputed waters off the Diaoyuatai.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not