The Cabinet has not decided whether the government should issue purchase coupons to the public as a means to stimulate consumer spending, Executive Yuan officials said yesterday.
Council for Economic Planning and Development (CEPD) Chairman Chen Tain-jy (陳添枝) proposed to Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) at a closed-door meeting a day earlier that the government subsidize the issuing of purchase vouchers or merchandise coupons in an effort to boost spending and pull shopping districts around the country out of financial difficulties.
Chen’s proposal, however, received a mixed reaction, with officials from the premier’s office saying that the idea of distributing coupons would require very careful planning, while a Cabinet minister was reported as saying that cash should be distributed to those in need, rather than coupons.
Vice Premier Paul Chiu (邱正雄), Minister of Economic Affairs Yiin Chii-ming (尹啟銘) and Minister of Finance Lee Sush-der (李述德) also attended the meeting at the Executive Yuan.
The CEPD chief made several suggestions as part of his initiative, including tax cuts, tax rebates and the issuance of purchase vouchers, as means of revving up the sagging domestic economy amid sluggishness triggered by the global financial crisis.
Officials of the Ministry of the Interior’s Social Affairs Department said that experts from the academic sector had also proposed the idea of consumer coupons, but it is still too early to tell how or even whether the idea should be implemented.
“The CEPD must first put forth a plan explaining how the coupons would work, which stores should be included in the program and whether the rich would be excluded from the coupon beneficiary list,” the officials said.
The Japanese government distributed purchase vouchers to children and low-income senior citizens in the spring of 1999 as part of an economic recovery plan.
Similar tickets, including food stamps and cash or gift cards, have also been distributed by the US government in an effort to stimulate consumer spending.
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the
DELUSIONAL: The male patient said he did not know that the woman had mental problems, but the court said that her being restrained in isolation should have given him pause The Taiwan High Court has ordered the Jhudong branch of the Taiwan National University Hospital and a male patient to jointly pay a former female patient’s family NT$400,000 in compensation after the man had sex with the woman, who has mental problems, while hospitalized. The 26-year-old woman has been diagnosed with a mental disorder, a symptom of which is that she obsessively seeks to have sex, her mother said. The mother filed a formal complaint and sought damages from the hospital and the male patient surnamed Chen (陳) after finding out that her daughter had sex with the man while