Responding to recent reports that it used incorrect child-growth standards for the past 40 years, the Bureau of Health Promotion said yesterday it would adopt new standards implemented by the WHO.
The Chinese-language China Times reported yesterday that the bureau had been using incorrect child growth standards in booklets given to new parents for the past 40 years, causing parents to overfeed their babies and exposing them to increased risks of infant obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
The bureau denied the allegations and said that until April 2006 ?when the WHO publicized its growth standards ?there had been no international standard for assessing the growth and development of infants and young children.
Both the old and new versions of the child growth standards published by the WHO were developed after a long period of study, but the old study sampled infants fed baby formula only, while the new study sampled infants on breast milk, bureau deputy head Wu Shiow-ing (吳秀英) said.
To assess the growth of breastfed infants around the world, in 1997 the WHO started collecting primary growth data from approximately 8,500 children from different ethnic backgrounds and cultural settings. The results were announced 10 years after the study was undertaken.
Wu said that before the results were announced, there had been no international standard.
The slight differences that existed between the two versions were due to different sample pools, she said.
In 2006, the Taiwan Academy of Breastfeeding called on health and medical personnel to adopt the new standards set by the WHO because the old standard, which sampled infants on baby formula who gained weight at a faster pace than breastfed ones, could lead parents who breastfed their babies to believe that their child was growing too slowly.
The bureau said it would use the WHO standard in its new booklet.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
PILLAGING PENGHU: A 7,539-tonne Chinese ship found mining sand in the Formosa Banks area was escorted by several CGA ships to a Kaohsiung harbor The Coast Guard Administration (CGA) yesterday announced that it had dispatched ships to intercept Chinese dredging vessels operating in the nation’s territorial waters near Penghu and detained 10 crew members, who were transported to Kaohsiung. A coast guard patrol discovered more than 20 dredging vessels in an area known as the Formosa Banks, 46 nautical miles (85km) southwest of Penghu County’s Cimei islet (七美) at about 5am on Wednesday. The agency responded by dispatching two patrol boats, the 3,000-tonne Kaohsiung and the 500-tonne Penghu, along with two frigates, to intercept the Chinese vessels, while an airborne observation unit was used to monitor
‘HONEYMOON’ IS OVER: A political science professor said that the Tsai administration’s popularity peaked after it successfully contained COVID-19, but is waning President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) and Premier Su Tseng-chang’s (蘇貞昌) approval ratings fell significantly this month in the wake of the government’s handling of the distribution of relief funds and stimulus coupons to people and businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, a poll released yesterday by the New Power Party (NPP) showed. The poll showed that 68 percent of respondents said they were satisfied with Tsai’s performance, down 8.9 percentage points from last month, while 21 percent said they disapproved of her performance. Her approval among respondents aged 20 to 29 fell 14.7 percentage points, the largest decrease when compared with other age
CAUTION: The CECC would first observe how the nation fares after easing domestic restrictions and wait for the pandemic to further subside before making its next move The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that relaxing domestic restrictions and border controls simultaneously might complicate efforts to reopen the nation, amid discussions about Taiwan’s exclusion by other countries in their first lists of tourists. The center hopes for there to be a period of observation following the easing of domestic restrictions, before it decides what to do next, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told a daily news briefing in Taipei. Chen was responding to a question about the reasoning behind the central government’s decision not to allow foreign students into the
Taiwan respects other countries’ decisions not to include it in their first lists of tourists allowed entry when they reopen their borders, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. The Yomiuri Shimbun on Sunday reported that the Japanese government was considering reopening the country to tourists from Thailand, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand first. Greece on Friday announced that from June 15, it would allow visitors from 29 countries, including Australia, China, the Czech Republic, Japan, Israel, New Zealand, South Korea and Germany. Japan has not yet finalized its visitor list, but the ministry has conveyed its hope that Tokyo would