The annual Wanan (萬安) air raid drill will be held at 2:30pm today in seven northern cities and counties, and residents in those areas are urged to stay inside of the building or follow instructions for evacuation during the 30-minute drill.
The drill, which covers areas between Hsinchu County and Ilan County, was rescheduled to today after complaints were raised over the plans to hold a nighttime drill earlier this month.
The Ministry of National Defense was criticized for disturbing the public by scheduling a nighttime drill. Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) later told a Cabinet meeting that the ministry should move the drill back to the daytime so that it would not inconvenience people.
The ministry says people inside buildings should turn off their electricity and lights, and close their windows after hearing the siren.
Those who are outdoors should follow the instructions of the military or police officers, it said.
There will be traffic controls during the drill, but public transportation, including the Taipei MRT, Kaohsiung High Speed Rail, trains, boats and planes, will continue running during the period, the ministry said. Passengers who exit trains will be directed to designated areas, while drivers will be required to pull their vehicles to the curb, it said.
Failure to follow the rules could result in fines between NT$30,000 and NT$150,000.
The Taipei City Government will monitor the situation from the 72th floor of Taipei 101.
The drill in eastern Taiwan had been planned for Aug. 13 between 6am and 6:30am but public complaints forced the ministry to reschedule it to between 2pm and 2:30pm the same day.
Elsewhere around the country, the air raid drill will be held on Kinmen next Monday between 3pm and 3:30pm; on Sept. 9 in central Taiwan between 9:30am and 10am; on Sept. 17 on Matsu between 9:30am and 10am and on Sept. 23 in southern Taiwan between 1:30pm and 2pm.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not