Former Olympic bronze medalist Chi Cheng (紀政) suggested boycotting the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics as she expressed concern over President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) acceptance of China's arrangement for the Taiwanese sports team's order of appearance in the Olympic procession next Friday.
Speaking in an interview on Thursday with the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) , Chi said Taiwan had always appeared in the Olympic procession in the “T” (TPE) section. Once it joins the parade under the “C” (Chinese Taipei) section, Taipei would be falling into Beijing’s trap, she said.
The order of Taiwan’s appearance is significant, so the government should not accept this arrangement to avoid setting a bad example and being belittled in the future, said Chi, who is also the chief executive of the Kaohsiung Organizing Committee for the 2009 World Games.
She suggested Taiwan not attend the ceremony as a sign of protest.
Chi, dubbed by Taiwanese media as the “Flying Antelope,” won the bronze medal in the 80m hurdles at the 1968 Mexico Olympics. The first Asian female track and field athlete to win an Olympic medal, Chi broke the world record nine times.
In the late 1970s, Taiwan almost lost its membership in the International Association of Athletics Federations because of Chinese oppression. With her connections in international sports circles, Chi filed a lawsuit with the UK High Court and helped the country retain its membership.
Chi said in the interview that Ma seemed to be unaware of the whole situation.
Based on the agreement between the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the Taiwanese team is abbreviated as “TPE” and thus listed under the “T” section in the IOC’s directory. This model has been used for years and applies to other sports events.
However, Beijing has changed the order of procession based on the number of strokes in the first character of each country’s Olympic designation in simplified Chinese script.
As for Beijing’s show of “goodwill” in changing Zhongguo Taibei (中國台北, or Taipei, China) back to Zhonghua Taibei (中華台北, or Chinese Taipei), Chi said it was merely a small favor but the procession was a major issue and a big trap.
Chi warned that Taiwan’s status would likely suffer if it was included under the “C” section with “Hong Kong, China” and “Macau, China.” “Distance tests a horse’s strength (路遙知馬力),” Chi said, quoting a Chinese saying. “Ma should think twice before he acts.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not