The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday conceded that it is considering writing off some of Nicaragua's debts, but denied speculation that Nicaragua made the demand in exchange for keeping diplomatic ties with Taiwan.
"We are considering it from the humanitarian point of view, but it has not been decided yet. It is international consensus to help needy countries," Foreign Ministry Spokesman David Wang (
Wang was responding to a Chinese-language newspaper report said Nicaraguan Foreign Minister Samuel Santos had mentioned the request to reporters on Friday after conferring a medal on the nation's ambassador to Nicaragua, Hung Ming-ta (洪明達).
Nicaragua wants Taiwan to write off the debts in exchange for Managua's maintaining ties with Taiwan, the China Times said.
The newspaper said that Nicaragua owes Taiwan US$160 million, and that the total debt would be higher if Taipei's loans to Nicaragua extended through the Central American Integration System were also taken into account.
On Thursday, Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said that his government was waiting for Taiwan's decision regarding Managua's request for electricity-generation equipment.
The China Times quoted Ortega as saying there would be no change in bilateral ties if the equipment is delivered and put into operation in October, in an apparent allusion to Nicaragua's conditions for continued diplomatic recognition of the nation.
Since Costa Rica switched recognition from Taiwan to China on June 1, reports have speculated that Nicaragua also plans to break ties with Taiwan and recognize China.
But Santos has denied the reports, saying that his country treasured its friendship with Taiwan.
Nicaragua recognized Beijing in 1985 after Ortega's first election. However, former president Violeta Chamorro broke with Beijing and re-established ties with Taiwan after defeating Ortega in 1990.
Before winning the most recent presidential election, Ortega had said that if he won, he would switch recognition from Taiwan to China to meet the needs of the Nicaraguan business sector.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a