The Supreme Prosecutors' Office said yesterday that several prominent Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) figures would be summoned for questioning next month over the use of their public discretionary special allowance funds.
The Supreme Prosecutors' Office held a press conference yesterday to report on the progress of its special investigation panel's probe into the public officials' use of their allowance funds following complaints from the pan-blue camp.
The subjects of the probe include Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮), former premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌), former premier and currently DPP Chairman Yu Shyi-kun, former premier and DPP presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) and National Security Council Secretary-General Mark Chen (陳唐山).
"Prosecutors have been busy examining evidence relating to five politicians' use of their special allowances and will likely summon them for questioning next month," Prosecutor Hou Kuan-jen (
He said the whole investigation would, "hopefully," be completed this year or before the presidential election next March.
Hou said that because President Chen Shui-bian (
Hou denied any delay in the probe as pan-blue parties had claimed.
Hou was the key figure behind the indictment of former Taipei mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
Hou alleged that Ma misused half of his mayoral fund by wiring it directly into his personal banking accounts. The indictment in February forced Ma to resign as chairman of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT). Ma has denied any wrongdoing.
Dissatisfied with the prosecutors' explanation, KMT Legislator Pan Wei-kang (潘維剛) said after the conference yesterday that the party would stage a protest at the prosecutors' office today.
"Ma was indicted about three months after his case was reported to prosecutors. It's been nine months after the complaints about the four DPP heavyweights were reported to prosecutors, but none of them have been questioned during this period," he said.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has