A survey conducted by the Main-land Affairs Council (MAC) found that 43 percent of those surveyed thought that a policy initiative to allow 1,000 Chinese tourists into the country for sightseeing each day would be acceptable.
The survey also found that 70 percent of those surveyed thought that the government should open up direct transportation links with China conditionally while 56 percent said that the government should not loosen the restrictions on China-bound investment before a social consensus is reached.
MAC Vice Chairman Liu Te-shun (
The council periodically conducts surveys on cross-strait affairs and policy and the poll released yesterday was the fourth and last one for this year.
The survey also showed that 75 percent of those polled thought that the government should promote cross-strait charter flights gradually based on the experience of the holiday charter flights of recent years.
In terms of the opinions about Taiwan's relationship with China, 85 percent of respondents said they support both sides of the Taiwan Strait maintaining the "status-quo," which Liu said was consistent with past surveys.
"The government's cross-strait policy goes hand in hand with the opinions expressed in this poll and the council will continue to carry out policies in this direction," Liu said.
In another poll released by the Cross-Strait Study Association, it was also found that more and more people identify themselves as "Taiwanese" rather than as "Chinese" and a steadily increasing number of people are willing to speak out about their pro-independence preference.
Sixty percent of those polled identified as "Taiwanese" and only 4.8 percent said they thought they were "Chinese." Sixty two percent of those surveyed support Taiwanese independence and 19 percent said Taiwan should not pursue independence.
Former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Lin Cho-shui (
"I think Beijing should recognize the fact that Taiwan's democratization and the frequent contacts between Taiwanese and Chinese have radically changed the identity of the people in Taiwan and it should not underestimate this evolution," Lin said.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: