Council of Labor Affairs Minister Lee Ying-yuan (
Violators will now face a fine of NT$750,000.
Lee said the nation has now around 320,000 foreign blue-collar workers, and 20,000 of them have fled their employers.
The runaways threaten public security, and the issue has become a priority in Premier Su Tseng-chang's (
Lee said employers are currently fined NT$15,000 to NT$75,000 if they hire illegal workers. Starting April 20, however, the maximum fine will be imposed on employers regardless of the circumstances.
He said the council will publicize the new policy for a month before it is formally launched, and he urged major corporations to cooperate by not hiring illegal workers.
Bureau of Vocational and Employment Training Director-General Kuo Fong-yu (郭芳煜) said some foreign laborers reportedly used fake alien residence cards to gain employment. He said runaway workers are an "uncontrollable" population and pose a threat to public security.
"If these workers have problem sustaining themselves, they will take extreme actions, such as robbery or some other crimes," Kuo said.
He said that most of them think that they can avoid illegal issues when they run away.
The crackdown drew strong criticism from non-government organizations yesterday.
Wu Jing-ru (
"They never really bother to find out the working conditions of the foreign laborers," Wu said, adding that the council "simply categorizes them either as legal or illegal workers."
Wu said illegal workers are exploited by their employers. A legal foreign worker, for example, is charged NT$1,500 to NT$1,800 a month in brokerage service fees, while illegal workers may be charged up to NT$5,600 a month.
According to Wu, some foreign workers are coerced into signing contracts that say they will voluntarily have savings deposited into their accounts every month, a strategy recruiters use in order to pay lower wages.
Unlike foreign white-collar workers, who can live where they want and are free to change employers, blue-collar workers face many restrictions.
Wu said even if these workers can escape from bad recruiters and poor working conditions at one job, they might become victims again if employed by other recruiters.
Wu also disagreed with the council's statement that runaway foreign workers are a threat to public security, saying such crime statistics have to be compared to crimes committed by Taiwanese blue-collar workers.
Lee made the announcement during yesterday's legislative session, where he faced a barrage of criticism from lawmakers about the recent accidents plaguing the Taiwan Railway Administration and protests by Thai and Filipino workers.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lu Tien-lin (
Lu reminded Lee that the council had proposed a plan to increase employment opportunities for local caregivers, with recruiters reimbursed NT$10,000 for each local hire.
The council has said only 11 employers have applied for the program.
"The council needs to evaluate the effectiveness [of the program]" Lu said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not