Taipei prosecutors yesterday indicted an official of the Ministry of Transportation and Com-munications (MOTC) and a businessman for allegedly offering and taking bribes in the scandal involving the ministry's electronic toll collection (ETC) system.
"The secretary to former MOTC minister Lin Ling-san (林陵三), Soong Nai-wu (宋乃午), is suspected of accepting more than NT$700,000 (US$21,590) in bribes and of leaking the ministry's secret documents to the contractor, Far Eastern [Electronic Toll Collection Co], before the ETC bidding took place," said Taipei Prosecutors' Office spokesman Lin Pang-liang (林邦樑) yesterday.
Lin said that as Soong's conduct has seriously affected the bidding and construction of the nation's highway ETC system, prosecutors have asked the Taipei District Court for a sentence of 12 years for Soong.
Soong currently serves as the secretary-general of the MOTC's Directorate General of Highways.
Lin added that the controversy surrounding the ETC system is a result of Soong's conspiracy with the ETC contractors.
Former Chingyeh Co assistant manager Tsai Chin-hung (
Lin added that Soong is suspected of leaking the names of committee members in charge of the ETC bidding system.
Prosecutors are still investigating whether committee members might also be involved in the bid-rigging scandal.
According to Lin, Tsai allegedly offered more than NT$16 million to help the contractor, Far Eastern, win the bid. Prosecutors are still investigating whether Lin Ling-san, other ministry officials and any lawmakers had accepted bribes were otherwise involved in the ETC scandal.
Chinese-language newspaper reports said that at least two legislators took more than NT$10 million in bribes from contractors for their "help" in winning the bid. Lin did not comment on the reports.
Last month Soong appeared at the Taipei District Prosecutors' Office, carrying a knife with him and swearing that he would commit suicide if he were convicted of corruption.
Speaking to reporters yesterday, Soong insisted on his innocence.
Meanwhile, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) yesterday said that the ETC system must be implemented regardless of what has happened. Motorists' legal rights must be protected and any alleged scandals or bribes must be investigated, he said.
"These are the three principles that we will adhere to," Su said in remarks on the legislative floor yesterday in response to questions from Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌).
Minister of Transportation and Communications Kuo Yao-chi (
"If that is the case, we will need time to review and reconsider the contract," she said.
Su said he has no intention of relieving Kuo from her post and asked the public to support and encourage her.
"She has been through a lot of trouble ever since she took over the office [as MOTC minister]. However, she is not the cause of all these troubles and should not therefore have to shoulder the blame," Su said.
"We should support and encourage her to keep her moving forward," he said.
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the