The US considers the Chinese military buildup as destabilizing, according to the spokesman for the US Department of State.
"We do see the military buildup and missile deployment [against Taiwan] as destabilizing," spokesman Richard Boucher said during a regular press briefing on Tuesday.
"We've said that publicly as well, because it's a situation that is of importance to us and concern to us. We want to see peaceful resolution, we don't want to see coercion. And we want to be quite clear on that," Boucher noted.
The Pentagon warned in a report on May 28 that China was developing "credible military options" to prevent Taiwan from achieving independence, including tools to discourage the US from coming to Taiwan's aid in the event of a cross-strait conflict.
Beijing on Tuesday defended its military buildup as essential to "safeguarding national sovereignty" and brushed off the Pentagon report as being hostile and based on a Cold War mentality.
Boucher was asked during the press briefing how he can reconcile the fact that the US and China are enjoying a warmer relationship and better cooperation, like in Iraq, while the US at the same time still publicly treats China as a threat.
Boucher answered that he would not speak for the Pentagon report or comment on the Chinese reaction to it, but he did say that "we have had a very consistent policy of cooperating with China wherever we can but also being clear about our differences."
"And when it comes to the Taiwan Straits, I think we have a very consistent policy supporting peaceful resolution. We have opposed the use of force to settle the conflict in the Taiwan Straits, and we view military coercion as counterproductive. So that's been a very steady policy that we've enunciated before," Boucher said.
As to reports that the UK is about to join France and other EU members to lift the EU ban on arms sales to China, Boucher answered that he hasn't heard anything from the British on the issue.
However, Boucher added that "we've been fairly consistent in our talks with European Union members, making clear our view that it's not time to lift the arms embargo on China that they have."
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not