President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) sought to dispel suspicions the March 19 assassination attempt against him had been staged, saying Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Lien Chan (
"I am willing to pay money to hire the best shooter in the world to make a test. If KMT Chairman Lien and PFP Chairman Soong would stand still on a Jeep to receive shots from the shooter and if the two could get the same wounds as I and Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) did last Friday, I would step down as president," Chen said.
"If they [Lien and Soong] can't do it or if they are afraid of doing it, they had better keep their mouths shut," he said.
Chen made the remarks Saturday night at a press conference in which he made a formal response to accusations of foul play in the March 19 shooting incident in Tainan.
"I cannot accept the false accusations of my conducting the shootings or the suspicions that the incidents were faked. Would they believe them only if Lu and I were killed?" he said.
"I have never staged this shooting incident and there is nothing to hide. The investigation will be fair and transparent," Chen said. "I do not want to bear this bad name any longer."
Chen expressed thanks to State Public Prosecutor-General Lu Jen-fa (
"I am glad that internationally renowned forensic experts Henry Lee (
Lee has also served as a consultant to Lien during the election campaign.
The pan-blue camp had used the accusations to mobilize supporters to stage protests in front of the Presidential Office and to hold a massive rally on Saturday.
"Following the shooting incident, a national security mechanism was activated. But it did not affect the military's original plans to send soldiers back to their hometowns to cast votes in the next day's presidential elections," Chen said.
"The activation of the national security mechanism did not have any effect on the military. The only difference was that the leaders of the national security mechanism were unable to take leave and had to stay in their offices to be in command of the situation," he said.
Chen denied allegations by the pan-blue camp that over 200,000 service members were forced to stay on base and were deprived of their right to vote because of the activation of the security mechanism.
"These allegations were totally irresponsible and unfounded. The Ministry of National Defense has explained again and again that only one-ninth of the service members were kept in camp to execute combat missions on the day of the elections," Chen said.
"In comparison, one-sixth of the armed forces had to be on duty for the presidential election in 1996," he said.
"No extra service members were added to the forces that had to stand on guard on the election day this time," he said. "All the service records are available to be checked," he said.
Chen also attacked the blue camp for being mistrustful, saying it suspects everything that could be blamed for its election defeat.
"How dare they allege that the Chi Mei Medical Center's treatment of Vice President Lu and me were faked and all the medical files concerning this case were forged?" he asked.
"The dean of the Tainan-based Chi Mei Medical Center, Chan Chi-hsien (
The Chi Mei Medical Center was the hospital where Chen and Lu received treatment for the shootings last Friday.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not