Dr. Lee Yi-tsang (李易倉) -- an ear, nose and throat specialist at Taipei Municipal Hoping Hospital (TMHH) -- yesterday morning returned to the hospital for enforced quarantine after Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) ordered health authorities to invoke police powers to detain him, the Chinese-language media reported.
According to TMHH, Lee worked part time in the hospital's otolaryngological department. The hospital was sealed off last Thursday due to an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). However, Lee and some other hospital staff refused to return for quarantine.
According to the hospital, Lee even continued practicing at his private Taipei clinic after he disobeyed the quarantine order.
PHOTO: LIAO CHENG-HUEI, TAIPEI TIMES
"Lee has broken not only the Communicable Disease Prevention Law (傳染病防治法) but also the Doctor's Law (醫師法) and the Medical Treatment Law (醫療法)," Taipei City Government spokesman Wu Yu-sheng (吳育昇) said on Monday.
Wu said that Ma was furious after he heard that Lee had put his patients in danger. The mayor then ordered health authorities late on Monday night to use police measures to detain Lee.
Although Lee returned to the hospital yesterday morning, Taipei's Bureau of Health Director Chiou Shu-ti (邱淑媞) yesterday said that the doctor will face a fine of NT$60,000, according to the Communicable Disease Prevention Law.
A total of 975 hospital staff have been ordered to undergo quarantine at TMHH after it was temporarily closed down. According to Chiou, however, four of them are still missing while another four are in self-imposed quarantine in their homes.
The Bureau of Health decided to publish the names of the four missing staff in a bid to make them return.
The staff will be fined between NT$60,000 and NT$300,000.
They were Dr. Chou Ching-kai (周經凱), dean of the general surgery department, nurse Hsieh I-chun (謝宜君), contracted treatment assistant Lin Jui-yung (林瑞詠) and contracted administration assistant Chen Mo-jen (諶模珍).
Taipei City Government health bureau announced yesterday that the police issued a warrant for the arrest of the four runaway medical staff.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not