The Control Yuan yesterday impeached three current and former officials of the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) and one official in the Hualien County government for dereliction of duty in improperly awarding two fishermen excessive compensation for losses they incurred when the ministry decided to construct a harbor in Hualien.
The four impeached are the MOEA Vice Minister Yin Chi-ming (
The investigation report released by the Control Yuan yesterday, states that in 1994, when the MOEA decided to construct the harbor in Hualien to facilitate the import and export of materials by the cement industry, the four men were guilty of sub-standard work when dealing with compensation claims.
The report states that some NT$276 million in compensation paid to two fishermen to cover the loss of two-year fishing licenses, the laying off of 14 employees between them and the enforced retirement of fishing equipment, including boats, was estimated without verification of the items claimed and was of an "obviously inflated" standard. The fishermen were then KMT legislator Yang Chi-hsiung (楊吉雄) and Yu Yuan-chen (游淵琛).
The two fishermen owned two-year fishing licenses, granted by the government, to place fixed fishing nets in the sea at a point so close to the planned harbor that it became part of the construction site. They were entitled to compensation under regulations governing such arrangements.
"The bureau did not follow a standard procedure to inspect, evaluate and negotiate the amount of compensation, but directly approved the amount requested by the fishermen. The whole process of the decision-making is so reckless and obviously with an intention to benefit the two fishermen," said Ku Deng-mei (
Furthermore, the investigation report said that the bureau asked Taiwan Cement Corp, which later acquired exclusive rights to use the harbor for importing and exporting, to pay the compensation without giving it any right to participate in any negotiation.
Although the company agreed to pay the compensation, the report said it was not reasonable for the government to ask it to do so.
"It is not reasonable to ask the company to pay the compensation when it had no right to participate in the process over how much they should pay. The four were irresponsible," the report said.
After learning the result of the investigation, Yin said yesterday afternoon that he thought the amount of compensation was reasonable and that he had not violated any regulation. He said that he felt the result of the investigation was unfair.
The four will be referred to the Committee for the Discipline of Public Functionaries for punishment, which will involve either demerits or dismissal.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a