A wooden coffin believed to be nearly 5,000 years old has been unearthed at an archaeological site in the Tainan Science-based Industrial Park in southern Taiwan, a local archaeologist said yesterday.
"We discovered the grave at a site reserved for construction of a public facility in the science park on Monday," said Chu Cheng-yi (朱正宜), a research fellow with the Institute of History and Philology of Academia Sinica -- Taiwan's highest academic body.
Chu, who has been conducting a field study at the science park since 1995, said it was the first time his archaeological team had discovered a grave with a wooden coffin in the area.
In the past, the team has found stone sarcophagi, but nothing like these wooden coffins.
The team unearthed two wooden coffin slabs, Chu said.
"Each of them was 40cm long and 10cm wide," he explained. "They are made of hardwood and are dark brown in color. We need further examination to determine the exact type of wood," he said.
Also unearthed in the grave were more than 20 cord-marked pots and many pottery shards.
Archaelogists also discovered the skeletons of a man and a woman, both of whom were in their 20s when they died, Chu went on.
"This is also the first time that we have discovered the remains of a couple buried together in a single grave in the region," Chu told reporters.
Over the past six years, Chu's team has unearthed more than 370 human skeletons and a large quantity of pots and shards at nine archaeological sites in the Tainan science park, which is still under construction.
The newly discovered grave was found beneath the ninth archaeological site, known as the Nankuanli East cultural relic.
According to Chu, his team last month also excavated a grave containing 20 human skeletons, two complete dog skeletons, 140 rubbish pits, as well as many grains and shells at the site.
"All of the skeletons and artifacts were buried at a depth of between 0.5m and 1m in an area spanning 1,500m2 ," Chu said.
He added that the relics belong to the Tapenkeng culture which dates back 5,000 years.
Construction at the Tainan science park will shift into high gear next year.
Chu said his team must step up its work to rescue as many cultural relics in the region as possible before they are covered by concrete for the construction of the site.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not