Suspended former UEFA president Michel Platini has withdrawn his candidacy from the race for the presidency of soccer’s scandal-plagued governing body FIFA, he told French sports daily L’Equipe on Thursday.
Platini was handed an eight-year ban from the game along with outgoing FIFA president Sepp Blatter by the federation’s independent Ethics Committee on Dec. 21 last year.
Both have been engulfed by the worst corruption scandal in FIFA’s history as the sport faces criminal investigations in Switzerland and the US, where 41 soccer officials and sports entities have been indicted on corruption-related charges.
Former French international Platini has insisted he has done nothing wrong and was still hoping to win an appeal in time to have been allowed back in time for the election on Feb. 26, but said he had changed his mind.
“I withdraw my candidacy. I can no longer [go through with it]. I have neither the time, nor the means to go and see the voters, to meet people, and to fight with others,” he said in an interview which L’Equipe published on its Web site. “By withdrawing, I chose to fully focus on my defense on a case where there’s no talk of corruption, falsification anymore, in which there’s nothing left. It’s a matter of schedule, but it’s not just that. How do you win an election when you’re prevented from campaigning?”
Blatter and Platini were both banned over a payment of 2 million Swiss francs (US$2 million) made to the Frenchman by FIFA with Blatter’s approval in 2011 for work done a decade earlier.
The committee said the payment, made at a time when Blatter was seeking re-election, lacked transparency and presented conflicts of interest, though both men denied wrongdoing.
Platini had initially been seen as the favorite to replace Blatter in the Feb. 26 election, where each of 209 national soccer associations who are members of FIFA hold one vote.
“I had ... about one hundred official letters of support from federations and about 50 pledges, in two days,” Platini said.
Five candidates, none of them clear favorites, will take part in the election and a chance for the job of rebuilding the sport’s beleaguered governing body.
The candidates are Prince Ali Bin al-Hussein of Jordan, Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain, former FIFA official Jerome Champagne of France, UEFA general-secretary Gianni Infantino of Switzerland and South African businessman Tokyo Sexwale.
Infantino has been Platini’s right-hand man at UEFA and announced his candidacy after the Frenchman had been initially suspended in October.
Champagne, although a compatriot of Platini, is known to be a critic, has no connections with UEFA and says that FIFA’s priority must be to spread the game’s riches more evenly around the world.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire