The Miami Dolphins kept pace in a packed American Football Conference wild-card playoff race after coming from behind to post an uninspiring 16-13 win over the New York Jets on Monday.
A 26-yard chip-shot field goal from Caleb Sturgis with little under two minutes remaining in the final quarter put the Dolphins ahead for the first time in the game.
The victory moved them to a 7-5 record to join Kansas City, Buffalo, Baltimore and Pittsburgh in the hunt for a wild card with four games to play.
Photo: USA Today
The Dolphins’ victory came from the Jets missed opportunities rather than their own good play, with the home side unable to convert a 10-0 and 13-6 leads into their third victory of the season.
Nick Folk missed two field goals for the Jets, including one with the scores tied late in the fourth quarter, while key interception and touchdown chances were wasted throughout the game.
Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill threw for 235 yards, but his numbers looked impressive against opponent Geno Smith, who was just seven from 13 for 65 yards and a game-ending interception.
“It was huge. We made some plays down the stretch. We struggled offensively really all night to get drives put together and move the ball down the field,” Tannehill told ESPN. “In the fourth quarter, we were able to move the ball down the field, get some points on the board and then the defense really came up big. They answered the bell on the turnover there at the end.”
The Jets built their lead playing almost exclusively on the ground, with Chris Johnson leading the way with 105 yards, while Greg Salas opened the scoring with a 20-yard run in the first quarter.
Folk moved the lead to 10-0 with a 40-yard field goal in the second quarter, before Sturgis kicked his first field goal from 43 yards to send his side into halftime 10-3 down.
The teams traded field goals in the third to leave it 13-6 heading into the final quarter, before Lamar Miller rushed over from four yards with 10 minutes left to tie the scores at 13-13.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
‘GREAT COMPETITOR’: Former French Open champion Garbine Muguruza was tested by American teenager Coco Gauff, before the Spaniard advanced in three sets Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Thursday cruised into the quarter-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia by handing their Japanese opponents a rare “double bagel,” a feat matched by US Open losing finalist Victoria Azarenka in the women’s singles. Top seeds Hsieh and Strycova took just 49 minutes to see off the challenge of Japanese duo Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya 6-0, 6-0 on the clay courts at the Foro Italico in Rome. The Taiwanese-Czech duo saved both break points they faced and converted six of 14, winning 62 percent of their first