An Australian player’s claim that he was approached with an offer to fix a game of the Asia Series held in Taiwan last month was a “fabricated lie,” the Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) said on Monday as it announced the result of its probe into the allegation.
The CPBL is demanding an apology from the Australian Baseball League (ABL).
Catcher Matt Blazynski’s claim that the Canberra Cavalry were asked to throw the Asia Series semi-final was “a fabrication without a thread of truth” and the Canberra Times report that broke the story on Nov. 23 was “not based on fact,” the CPBL said in a statement.
“The lie and the article caused extremely serious damage to the 2013 Asia Series, the CPBL, baseball fans and those who work in baseball in Taiwan,” it added.
The Taiwanese league demanded in a letter that its Australian counterpart write a note apologizing for the allegation and publish it in the Canberra Times to clarify the matter.
Copies of the letter sent to the ABL were sent to its counterparts in Japan, South Korea and Europe, which also participated in the six-team tournament held from Nov. 15 to Nov. 20.
The CPBL said that until its demands are met, it will suspend cooperation and exchange activities with the Australian division.
Blazynski, who did not play in the series, told the Canberra Times that he had been approached at a bar in Greater Taichung on Nov. 17, the eve of the semi-final between the Cavalry and the Samsung Lions of South Korea, and was offered US$30,000 to help lose the game by at least seven runs.
Blazynski referred the matter to Cavalry coaches, who passed it up the chain, resulting in the officials in charge of the Asia Series contacting police, the paper reported.
The Cavalry beat the Lions 9-5 and went on to win the championship by routing the Uni-President Lions 14-4.
During its investigation into the match-fixing claim, the CPBL reviewed a closed-circuit TV recording of Blazynski at the bar, called Simba, which it said showed that it was he who had struck up a conversation with two local men and a woman.
According to the footage, no money was produced during the encounter, the Taiwanese league said.
In its statement, the CPBL also criticized Blazynski for refusing to cooperate with its investigation during a video conference arranged with the ABL’s assistance on Dec. 6.
“He was evasive and unwilling to fully cooperate with the CPBL’s request for a legal investigation or even provide his cellphone number,” it said.
CPBL president Huang Cheng-tai declined to respond to requests for comment, referring reporters to his administration’s statement.
CPBL deputy secretary-general Wang Hui-min said that the result of the probe was based on information gathered through the league’s anti-gambling mechanism.
‘GREAT EVENING‘: In the women’s singles in Rome, Simona Halep and Karolina Pliskova advanced, while Rafael Nadal swept into the quarters in the men’s singles Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Friday had to dig deep to advance to the semi-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. The top seeds, who did not drop a game in their opening match on the clay courts at the Foro Italico, battled to a 7-6 (7/5), 6-4 victory over sixth seeds Veronika Kudermetova and Katerina Siniakova in 1 hour, 39 minutes. The reigning Wimbledon champions saved nine of 11 break points and converted three of eight, winning 56 percent of points on their second serve and sending down two aces
’SO CONSISTENT’: The victory gave the world No. 1 and world No. 2 a 21-1 win-loss record and their fourth title of the season after successes in Brisbane, Dubai and Doha Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Sunday cruised to their fourth women’s doubles title of the season at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome in their first tournament back since the suspension of the WTA Tour due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The top seeds took just 63 minutes to complete a comprehensive 6-2, 6-2 victory over unseeded German-Romanian duo Anna-Lena Friedsam and Raluca Olaru at the Foro Italico. It was the Taiwanese-Czech pairing’s first outing since they won the Qatar Open in February. “After five months, you don’t know what to expect,” Strycova told the WTA Web site.
ANOTHER SCANDAL: Searches focused on several riders, including Dayer Quintana, a source said, while the two being held were reportedly a doctor and physiotherapist French police on Monday detained two people as part of an investigation into suspected doping in the Arkea-Samsic team at this year’s Tour de France, prosecutors announced. The probe is the first significant one in several years for the repeatedly scandal-hit tour, which on Sunday wrapped up in Paris with a victory for 21-year-old Tadej Pogacar, who became the youngest winner in more than a century. Prosecutor Dominique Laurens in Marseille said in a statement that an investigation was being carried out into a “small part” of France-based Arkea-Samsic, without specifying who had been placed in custody. Laurens added that the two
‘GREAT COMPETITOR’: Former French Open champion Garbine Muguruza was tested by American teenager Coco Gauff, before the Spaniard advanced in three sets Taiwan’s Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova of the Czech Republic on Thursday cruised into the quarter-finals of the women’s doubles at the Internazionali BNL d’Italia by handing their Japanese opponents a rare “double bagel,” a feat matched by US Open losing finalist Victoria Azarenka in the women’s singles. Top seeds Hsieh and Strycova took just 49 minutes to see off the challenge of Japanese duo Nao Hibino and Makoto Ninomiya 6-0, 6-0 on the clay courts at the Foro Italico in Rome. The Taiwanese-Czech duo saved both break points they faced and converted six of 14, winning 62 percent of their first