South Korea’s Chella Choi fired a six-under par 66 on Saturday to seize a one-stroke lead over Sweden’s surging Anna Nordqvist after the third round of the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic.
Choi, seeking her first LPGA title, stood on 17-under 199 after 54 holes with Nordqvist, who fired a third-round 61, joining second-round leader Jessica Korda of the US on 200, one stroke ahead of Australian Karrie Webb.
Choi birdied the par-5 fourth, par-4 fifth and par-5 sixth holes for the second day in a row before taking only her second bogey of the event at the par-4 ninth.
She bounced back with another run of three birdies in a row, a string concluded at the par-5 13th, and added another at the par-5 16th to edge ahead of Nordqvist.
Nordqvist, who began the round sharing 27th place, strung together five birdies in a row starting at the par-4 third, taking advantage of both par-5 holes on the front nine in the run.
She began the back nine with back-to-back birdies and added an eagle at the par-5 13th before suffering her first bogey in 30 holes at the par-3 14th.
However, Nordqvist responded with three birdies in a row, a run that finished at the par-3 17th, and parred to complete her sensational round.
Korda, out for the past two weeks with a wrist injury, and Hall of Famer Webb each fired 69s.
Korda, whose lone career victory came in last year’s Women’s Australian Open, took a bogey at the par-3 second, but answered with a birdie on the next hole and birdied the sixth before closing the front side with back-to-back birdies.
The 20-year-old American stumbled back with a bogey at the 11th and a double bogey at the par-4 12th, although she pulled the strokes back with a birdie at the 13th and an eagle at the 16th.
Webb birdied three of the first six holes before taking her first bogey since the second hole of the first round at the par-4 seventh, but she followed with another birdie at the 16th hole to stay solidly in the hunt.
American Jennifer Johnson was fifth on 202, one stroke ahead of compatriots Stacy Lewis and Sydnee Michaels with a group on 204, including Americans Nicole Castrale and Lexi Thompson, South Korean Ji Eun-hee and Thailand’s Ariya Jutanugarn.
The Philadelphia 76ers, fueled by 36 points from Tyrese Maxey and a triple-double from Joel Embiid, on Thursday beat the Houston Rockets 128-122 in an NBA overtime thriller. Cameroonian big man Embiid scored 32 points, grabbed 15 rebounds and handed out 10 assists, posting the ninth triple-double of his career to help the Sixers end the Rockets’ three-game winning streak. Rockets star Kevin Durant scored 36 points and Amen Thompson added 17, but Thompson was scoreless in the fourth quarter. Even so, the Rockets led by nine midway through the final frame, Maxey tying it at 115-115 with 40.1 seconds left. Durant missed a
Luka Doncic on Monday produced a 46-point masterpiece as the Los Angeles Lakers snapped the Chicago Bulls’ four-game winning streak with a 129-118 victory on the road. Doncic rattled in eight three-pointers on 15-of-25 shooting from the field, finishing with seven rebounds and 11 assists to lead an impressive Lakers effort at the United Center. LeBron James chipped in with 24 points, five rebounds and three assists, while Rui Hachimura delivered an eye-catching cameo off the bench with 23 points from nine-of-11 shooting. The win was another encouraging result for the Lakers after a 116-110 defeat of the Dallas Mavericks on Saturday. “We did
The Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo on Friday said that he will probably be out for an extended period after hurting his right calf again after a similar injury caused him to miss eight games earlier this season. Antetokounmpo had his right calf wrapped in the first half of their 102-100 loss to the Denver Nuggets. He did not appear comfortable the rest of the night and left for good with 34 seconds remaining. “At the end, I could not move no more, so I had to stop playing,” Antetokounmpo said. The two-time NBA Most Valuable Player said he expected to undergo an MRI
Taiwanese FORTUNES: Wu Fang-hsien and Hsieh Su-wei both advanced to the last 16 of the women’s doubles, but Ray Ho was ousted in the men’s doubles Carlos Alcaraz yesterday stepped up his quest to win a maiden Australian Open as he overwhelmed showman Corentin Moutet to reach the last 16, while Taiwan’s Wu Fang-hsien and Hsieh Su-wei both advanced to the last 16 of the women’s doubles. Three-time finalist Daniil Medvedev battled through on day six at a warm and sunny Melbourne Park, as did Coco Gauff. Top seed Alcaraz was never in danger against French 32nd seed Moutet, easing through 6-2, 6-4, 6-1 at Rod Laver Arena in 2 hours, 5 minutes. It was the Spaniard’s 100th Grand Slam match and he boasts a remarkable 87-13 win-loss record,