A Minnesota Vikings player said on Tuesday that Brett Favre has texted his teammates and told them he plans to retire.
Tight-end Visanthe Shiancoe said he learned of the messages by talking to several teammates, though he had not received any direct messages from Favre.
“He told a couple guys on our team he’s going to retire,” Shiancoe said after practice on Tuesday evening. “He hasn’t told me, but I’m going to check my phone.”
Earlier on Tuesday, a person with knowledge of the situation said that Favre had informed the Vikings he won’t return for a second season. The person said Favre called coach Brad Childress and texted some players and team officials to say his injured left ankle is not responding as well to surgery and rehabilitation as he had hoped. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcement had been made.
Childress said Favre had not told him directly that he plans to retire as of Tuesday morning. The coach would not confirm Favre’s status with the team, calling it a “fluid situation,” and he was unavailable for comment after the evening practice. Owner Zygi Wilf declined to comment.
“I’m not a big hearsay person,” Childress said. “I gotta hear it from the horse’s mouth.”
As always with the 40-year-old star quarterback, things could change.
“I plead the fifth on everything,” defensive end Jared Allen said. “I love Brett and he reserves the right to do what he wants to do. We obviously love him as a teammate. We’d like to have him back, but until it’s official, I’ll believe it when I see it.”
True enough. With Favre, nothing ever seems final.
He told the Vikings last year he wouldn’t play, but changed his mind and joined them immediately after they broke training camp. Childress even drove to the airport to pick him up for his 19th NFL season. Camp this year ends next Thursday.
Star running back Adrian Peterson said he still hopes that Favre will be handing him the ball in the season opener on Sept. 6 in New Orleans. Peterson said he exchanged text messages with Favre on Tuesday, but declined to give details.
“I’m still up in the air like you guys, trying to figure out what’s going to happen,” Peterson said. “I’m sure he’ll make the best decision for him.”
Every Minnesota player asked about Favre reacted with hesitation after three years of answering questions about Favre’s future.
“It’s always back and forth with Brett,” said quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, in line to get the starting job if Favre is gone. “It’s his decision. He deserves the opportunity to decide when he’s going to retire or not, whether he wants to retire or not. It’s up to him. Right now, I’m just trying to focus on getting better.”
Favre has considered retiring every summer since 2002. It led to an ugly parting with the Packers that got him traded from Green Bay to the Jets in 2008. After a so-so season in New York, he announced his retirement early last year for the second time, then reconsidered and signed with the Vikings.
He had one of his best seasons last year, with career bests in completion percentage (68.4), quarterback rating (107.2) and fewest interceptions (seven), while throwing for 33 touchdowns and 4,202 yards to lead the Vikings to an NFC North title.
He hurt his left ankle in the NFC championship loss to the New Orleans Saints and had arthroscopic surgery in May.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes