FIFA has provisionally suspended Iraq from international soccer for one year due to a government decision to disband the sport’s national organizing association.
On the first day of its meetings in Sydney, the FIFA Executive Committee decided yesterday to suspend the Iraqi Football Association (IFA) following a governmental decree last week which dissolved the Iraqi National Olympic [IOC] Committee and all national sport federations.
The Executive Committee said it would only revoke the suspension if it received by Thursday “written confirmation from the Iraqi government that the decree has been annulled.”
Iraq was due to play Australia in a World Cup qualifier at Brisbane on Sunday and was scheduled to arrive in the Queensland state capital late today.
Earlier yesterday, FIFA chief Sepp Blatter said he remained confident Iraq would be able to fulfill its commitments, but did not rule out the possibility it would be suspended.
“We have asked the government to withdraw its decision against the Iraq Football Association and we believe the IOC has also made the same request and threatened the same punishment [suspension] as FIFA,’’ Blatter told Australian newspapers.
Blatter said he “could not imagine that this belligerent situation” would lead to Iraq not taking part in the rest of the Asian World Cup qualifiers.
“Iraq are the Asian champions and brought so much hope and joy to their country when they won the final in Malaysia last year,” he told the Australian newspaper. “I am confident there is enough pressure on the government to help them change their mind.”
Iraq’s coach urged FIFA and the Iraq government to resolve their dispute and avoid killing his players’ dream of reaching the 2010 World Cup finals.
Adnan Hamad said Iraq’s refusal to reinstate its soccer federation and FIFA’s hardline stance risked jeopardizing the only thing that brought unity to his country.
“It’s difficult for me and the players — It’s our dream to go to the World Cup,” Hamad said. “Now the Iraqi government has made this decision it’s become difficult for us. These players won’t get another chance to play at the World Cup. Politics is stopping them living their dream.”
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly