India captain Rahul Dravid said he believed his team could compete with South Africa despite a 174-run defeat on the fifth day of the second Test at Kingsmead on Saturday.
Dravid admitted he was disappointed that his team were bowled out for 179 after most of the morning's play was lost to bad light. South Africa fast bowler Makhaya Ntini took five for 48.
But Dravid said he was confident about his team's prospects in the series-deciding third Test starting tomorow in Cape Town.
"We would like to come back and fight really hard," he said. "The good thing is that we only have a couple of days between this and the next Test match. There's not really much time to think or brood over it."
"We've got to pick ourselves up. We've been competitive with them for long periods in this series. We've won a Test match and we're close to them. It's just a case of maintaining that performance and trying to do a bit better than today," he said.
Dravid said India's batting in the first innings, when they conceded an 88-run lead, had been a big setback.
"If you go behind in these conditions it's not easy, especially if you bat last," he said. "We could have played a lot better in the first innings, especially on the third morning when we lost a few wickets in quick succession."
South Africa captain Graeme Smith said it had been one of the best Test wins of his career, following harsh criticism of the team's performance after they lost the first Test in Johannesburg by 123 runs.
"We were honest with ourselves and that really helps in turning things around," he said. "Every guy put up their hands. We had some good chats in Durban and in the five days we showed a lot of character."
He singled out Ntini's bowling in the final innings after the fast bowler had struggled to find his best form in the first Test.
"I know Makky's been searching for a few things. It's the hallmark of a really good cricketer that when your team needs, you stand up. He did that today and he was backed up by the rest of the guys," Smith said.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni provided a lone highlight in a poor Indian batting display. He made 47 before he was eighth man out, caught behind in the last over before tea after adding 59 for the eighth wicket with Zaheer Khan.
After only 4.3 overs of play were possible before lunch, the sun came out in the afternoon to give South Africa the opportunity to hit back after the first Test loss.
There were still some anxious moments for South Africa before victory was sealed, however, as the light started to fade after tea. The umpires checked their light meters before the last two wickets fell in the space of three balls after tea.
India limped to 47 for four at lunch after Ntini dismissed both overnight batsmen, Sachin Tendulkar and Wasim Jaffer.
India, resuming on 38 for two, lost Tendulkar to the fifth delivery of the day. Ntini produced a virtually unplayable ball that cut back sharply and kept low to trap India's star batsman leg before for zero.
Jaffer followed nine balls later when he played an injudicious pull shot that looped gently to Andre Nel at mid-on. He made 28.
V.V.S. Laxman and Sourav Ganguly kept the South Africans at bay after lunch, putting on 38 for the fifth wicket.
At that stage India were 85 for six. Dhoni and Anil Kumble resisted for 41 minutes. Andrew Hall, the fifth bowler to be used, made a breakthrough with his first ball when Kumble fended a lifting ball to Hashim Amla at short leg.
Khan and Shanthakumaran Sreesanth added 19 runs after tea before Khan was caught at third slip off Nel and Sreesanth was given out behind off Hall two balls later.
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
BITING THE BULLET: Barcelona’s Lionel Messi said that top players would make contributions so that the club’s employees can collect 100 percent of their salary Three-quarters of Rugby Australia’s staff were temporarily laid off yesterday amid huge financial losses from the sport’s coronavirus-enforced shutdown, while Lionel Messi confirmed on Monday that Barcelona’s players would take a 70 percent pay cut to ensure that the club’s other employees are paid. The cuts to rugby staff were “the toughest decision in the game’s history,” governing body CEO Raelene Castle said. “Although extremely painful, they are necessary to ensure ... we are able to come out the other side of this global crisis, fully operational and ready to throw everything into the rebuild.” The sport has been hit hard by
If British industry succeeds in saving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic, it would in part be thanks to the pioneering role played by Formula One (F1) racing teams in the country. Seven of F1’s 10 teams have joined forces with leading aerospace and engineering firms to ramp up production of ventilators, while Mercedes has also worked with medics and academics to produce an alternative breathing aid. Normally obsessed with improving the performance of cars that race at more than 320kph, the teams are stripping back lifesaving devices and using computer simulation to test whether more simplified models can be mass produced. The seven
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —