Swede Joachim Johansson made a stunning return to top tennis after a year of injury, hammering home a 6-4, 7-6 (7) upset win over Rafael Nadal in a Stockholm Open shock on Wednesday.
The 24-year-old "Jackhammer," his ranking languishing at 690 after shoulder surgery last summer and subsequent elbow problems rained down 17 aces against the Spanish world No. 2, following up his bombs with charging attacks on the net.
He reached his first quarter-final since Marseille in February of last year.
Johansson advanced as Nadal slammed a service return into the net to lose after one hour, 51 minutes.
"I played a decent match, but he attacked in the right moments. The crowd was not a factor, but his serve was. It's never easy coming from injury," said Nadal. "He played very aggressive in the important moments. He had a lot of confidence and no pressure."
Johansson last competed on the ATP in San Jose in February, losing in the first round. His last events were in the Swedish Futures series last month.
Nadal, the top seed and Stockholm debutant, found himself on the back foot from the start as his opponent served notice with four aces in his opening service game.
The Swede kept up the fierce pressure, breaking for 2-1 in the opening set and claiming the opener on his third opportunity when an off-balance Nadal netted.
The momentum stayed with the challenger in the second set, Johansson breaking to start but losing it for 2-all.
He quickly made up for lost ground to produce the popular upset.
Nadal paid the price as he played on the ATP for the first time since the US Open quarter-finals.
Earlier holder James Blake thrashed two time champion Thomas Johannson 6-3, 6-2.
The second-seeded American won his tenth ATP match in his last 11 outings since the start of the US Open as he claimed a first-round win over the 31-year-old Swede in 59 minutes.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I