Manila has rejected Beijing’s demand that it “disregard” an international ruling that invalidated China’s claims to much of the South China Sea before negotiating on the issue, Philippine Secretary of Foreign Affairs Perfecto Yasay said yesterday.
China last week denounced The Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration’s finding that there was no legal basis for its claims to most of the strategic, resource-rich waters, provoking stern warnings from leaders from Japan to the EU that it must respect the rule-based global order.
Following the decision, Beijing asked Manila, which brought the case, “to open ourselves for bilateral negotiations, but outside of and in disregard of the arbitral ruling,” Yasay told broadcaster ABS-CBN.
Photo: EPA
“This is something that I told him was not consistent with our constitution and our national interest,” he said.
The court ruled that Beijing had violated the Philippines’ sovereign rights to exploit resources in waters up to 340km beyond its coast, called its exclusive economic zone.
Yasay’s comments were more forceful than previous reactions from Manila, with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte keen to restore relations with Beijing and promising not to “taunt or flaunt” the verdict.
Yasay and his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi (王毅), discussed the possibility of talks on the sidelines of an Asia-Europe summit in Ulan Bator last weekend, but made no headway, Yasay said.
He quoted Wang as telling him: “If you will insist on the ruling, discussing along those lines, then we might be headed for a confrontation.”
Direct talks were unlikely soon in the light of Beijing’s refusal to accept the ruling, Yasay said.
“Let the dust settle some more and let’s see how we can open up the road for this kind of negotiation,” he added.
In related news, Chinese Vice Minister of Commerce Gao Yan (高燕) yesterday in Beijing brushed off calls from some Chinese for a boycott on products from the Philippines and the US because of the ruling.
Asked if China would take retaliatory trade measures against Manila, Gao told reporters that trade relations with Manila were developing smoothly.
“In recent years, the development of China’s trade relations with the Philippines overall has been smooth and stable. China is willing to develop mutually beneficial and diverse trade relations with the Philippines,” she said.
“I should say that though some Internet users have called for boycotts on products from the Philippines, in actuality this situation has not occurred,” she said.
State media has called on people to oppose “irrational patriotism” over the case.
“Other net users have levelled false accusations against public figures and have started to mislead people into blindly boycotting foreign products and brands such as Philippine bananas, iPhones and KFC,” the state-run tabloid the Global Times said.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue