Two Taiwanese fishing boats reported that they were fired upon by what they believed to be an official Indonesian vessel while in the Strait of Malacca early yesterday.
The owner of the Sheng Te Tsai, registered in Pingtung County’s Liouciou Township (琉球), surnamed Lee, said he received a satellite telephone call from the skipper, Lin Nan-yang, shortly after 5am to say that his ship and the Lien I Hsing No. 116 were being shot at.
In one of the messages sent from the ships, crew members said they believed the vessel belonged to the Indonesian military, because they saw “2804” on the vessel, which is used for official vessels of the Southeast Asian nation.
The two Taiwanese ships, which were heading to Singapore to offload their catches and stock up on supplies, reported their location at 6 degrees 15 minutes north latitude and 97 degrees 40 minutes east longitude respectively when the shooting took place.
Lin said the 20 crew members of both ships were unharmed, but added that the Sheng Te Tsai had more than 10 bullet holes.
Lin told Lee that the shots were mainly aimed at the cockpits of the two ships, which Lee said was unusual given that warning shots tend to target the back of a vessel or the water around it.
The two fishing boats left Pingtung in late November last year and have been working in the Indian Ocean — they are expected to dock in Singapore later this week.
Liouciou Fishermen’s Association chief executive Tsai Pao-hsing (蔡寶興) said that the route the two vessels took along the center line of the Strait of Malacca is usually safe, although pirate attacks have been reported by fishermen.
Ismail Mae (買睿明), director of the Press Information Division at the Taipei Economic and Trade Office in Indonesia, said in Jakarta that the office would contact the Indonesian government to clarify whether the attack was launched by an official vessel after it gathers more information.
Yunus Ismail, deputy head of the press office at Indonesian Navy Headquarters, said there had been no report by the Indonesian coast guard or navy vessels of chasing Taiwanese fishing boats.
He said the headquarters would check with the naval base on Batam Island to see if any official Indonesian vessels were involved in the shooting.
Fisheries Agency Deputy Director-General Huang Hung-yan (黃鴻燕) said in Taipei that Taiwan does not rule out negotiating a fisheries agreement with Indonesia, similar to those signed with Japan and the Philippines, to better protect Taiwanese fishermen.
Meanwhile, Indonesia said that it “feels sabotaged” in its efforts to maintain peace in the disputed South China Sea.
An incident over the weekend involved an Indonesian patrol boat and a Chinese coast guard vessel and fishing boat, in what Indonesia said was its waters.
Indonesian Marine Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti said: “We may take it to the international tribunal of the law of the sea.”
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that the fishing boat was operating in “traditional Chinese fishing grounds.”
Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi said eight detained Chinese fishermen are to be processed in accordance with Indonesian law.
Additional reporting by Reuters
BUSY DAY: The same day the USS ‘Barry’ passed through the Strait, Taiwan was ending its Han Kuang military exercises, while China said it conducted an exercise near Taiwan A US Navy ship on Friday sailed through the Taiwan Strait, marking the ninth time a US military vessel has transited the Strait since US President Joe Biden took office in January. The USS Barry, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, conducted a “routine” transit through the Strait, the US Navy said in a statement, adding that the journey through international waters was conducted “in accordance with international law.” “The ship’s transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US’ commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the US Navy said. “The United States military flies, sails and operates anywhere international law allows.” The Ministry
FRUIT SPAT: The COA said China had not given evidence for halting wax and custard apple imports, adding that it would spend NT$1bn on promoting sales of the fruit Taipei threatened to take China to the WTO yesterday after Beijing said it would suspend wax apple and custard apple imports from Taiwan due to pest concerns. China’s customs administration earlier yesterday said it had repeatedly found pests called Planococcus minor, a type of mealybug, on wax and custard apples from Taiwan. It asked its Guangdong branch and all affiliated offices to stop clearing the products from today. China had acted unilaterally, without providing scientific evidence, Council of Agriculture (COA) Minister Chen Chi-chung (陳吉仲) told a news conference, criticizing the announcement’s timing, as it came during the Mid-Autumn Festival, celebrated in Taiwan
ON ALERT: A woman who tested positive for COVID-19 while abroad last year tested negative twice in Taiwan before showing a positive result on Sunday, the center said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported two locally transmitted COVID-19 infections, four imported cases and no deaths. The CECC meanwhile warned nearly 500 people to monitor their health after a woman tested postive. The center also reported that a previous local case — a female worker at Taoyuan International Airport Services (桃園航勤), who had the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 — likely contracted the disease from the same source as a previous imported case from Turkey. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that the two local cases were reported in Taipei, and are a
CLOSED DOORS? The new US rules, which are to be implemented in November, have sparked concern in Taiwan, given its low fully vaccinated coverage rate The US plans to allow entry to most foreign air travelers as long as they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 — while adding a testing requirement for unvaccinated Americans and barring entry for foreigners who have not received shots. The measures announced on Monday by the White House mark the most sweeping change to US travel policies in months, and widen the gap in rules between vaccinated people — who would see restrictions relaxed — and unvaccinated people. The new rules would replace existing bans on foreigners’ travel to the US from certain regions, including Europe. While the move would open the