Taiwan’s representative to this year’s Miss Earth contest yesterday expressed gratitude to her fans after she was ejected from the pageant for refusing to wear a sash that read “Chinese Taipei” and instead wearing one marked “Taiwan ROC.”
“I feel very appreciative to all the people who have encouraged me. Now that I have been suspended from the contest and have returned to my hotel, I have had more time to think it over,” the 22-year-old Ting Wen-yin (丁文茵) said on Facebook.
“Despite all these difficulties, I still feel grateful that this contest made me more mature and gave me a broader view of the world,” she wrote.
Photo: Screenshot from Facebook
Ting, who was representing Taiwan at the Miss Earth pageant in Vienna, two days earlier revealed that she originally wore a sash given to her by the organizers upon her arrival in Vienna that read “Taiwan ROC” — referring to Taiwan’s formal name, the Republic of China.
However, the organizers later asked Ting to replace her sash with another that read “Chinese Taipei” — the name used in most international events because of pressure from China — claiming that the original sash was misprinted by the event staff, Ting said.
Insisting that she was born in Taiwan and was representing Taiwan, Ting refused to change her sash and was banned from attending the pageant on Monday, while photographers were told not to take her picture, she added.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Eleanor Wang (王珮玲) said that Ting was forced to replace her sash due to pressure from China.
Wang said that Taiwan’s Chinese International Beauty Pageants Association (中華國際選美發展交流協會), which sent Ting to Vienna, told the ministry that Ting would continue to compete in the pageant using the name “Chinese Taipei.”
Founded in 2001, the Miss Earth pageant is held to promote environmental awareness, empower women worldwide and support international environmental organizations.
This year’s competition, which had 87 contestants, runs from Wednesday last week to Dec. 5, according to the event’s Web site.
The winner of the pageant is to serve as an ambassador in environmental protection campaigns worldwide.
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did