President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday demanded that the Ministry of National Defense review discipline within the military in the wake of a security lapse at a military base in Taoyuan where Apache helicopters are stationed.
Presidential Office spokesman Charles Chen (陳以信) said Ma has always emphasized the importance of maintaining military discipline and is “highly concerned” about the recent incident, which has negatively affected the military’s image.
Chen said Ma has asked the defense ministry to launch an immediate review of certain procedures within the military.
Minister of National Defense Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) yesterday expressed anger at the “dereliction of duties and brazen flaunting of regulations” by military officials over the Apache tour incident and ordered all armed forces units to conduct disciplinary review meetings today.
601st Air Cavalry Brigade Lieutenant Colonel Lao Nai-cheng (勞乃成) on March 29 took a group of 26 relatives and friends, including a Japanese man and five foreign domestic helpers and caregivers, on a tour of his restricted military base in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭), which houses US-made AH-64 attack helicopters.
The incident came to light after one of the visitors, television personality Janet Lee (李蒨蓉), posted four photographs of the visit on Facebook, drawing media criticism of military security.
Kao convened a meeting to discuss Lao’s case yesterday, which was attended by senior military brass from the main armed forces command headquarters.
Lao allegedly tried to cover up facts about the incident, including the total number of people that were involved and the presence of six foreign nationals in the group.
“During last week’s initial investigation by the Army Logistics Command, the military officials took Lao’s words at face value, and did not investigate more thoroughly. What Lao did has severely damaged the image of our armed forces in the public’s eyes,” Kao said.
Kao said that a recent string of scandals highlighted serious disciplinary problems among soldiers and officers in the armed forces. These included reports of a male superior sexually harassing female subordinates on outlying Dongyin Island (東引島), an army major harassing female soldiers in an armored brigade in Kaohsiung and alcohol-fueled parties at a naval-base barracks.
During the meeting, Kao ordered the ministry to organize a special task force to investigate Lao’s conduct and violations of military regulations arising from the case, to be composed of staff from the ministry’s Inspector-General’s Office, Ethics Office and Political Warfare Bureau.
“The task force will be responsible for carrying out a thorough investigation of this case, to uncover the facts of the matter. We will not tolerate breaches of regulation by any officer,” Kao said.
“We must enforce regulations and disciplinary measures. It is time to dismiss those who are not suited for a career in the military,” he added.
The ministry said Lao is to receive a major demerit for taking a NT$2 million (US$63,891) integrated helmet and display sight system, used for operating the Apache helicopters, and a full flight suit to a Halloween party in October last year.
Additional reporting by CNA
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters