The parents of the suspect in the stabbing spree on Taipei’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system last week appeared outside Jiangzicui (江子翠) Station yesterday afternoon to apologize to the families of the victims for the losses that their son had caused them.
Four people were killed and 23 injured in the incident on Wednesday last week and 21-year-old university student, Cheng Chieh (鄭捷), was detained in connection with the stabbings.
Taiwanese tradition dictates that the families of the dead pay tribute to them on the seventh day after their deaths, when it is believed that their spirits will return to their families and loved ones.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Cheng’s parents issued a written statement apologizing for their son’s alleged actions on Friday last week, which New Taipei City Councilman Lin Kuo-chun (林國春) read out for them.
However, they were criticized by victims’ family members and others for not making the apology in person to the families.
Surrounded by a scrum of police, journalists and photographers, Cheng’s parents tearfully knelt and bowed to the public outside the station yesterday afternoon, asking for forgiveness.
Photo: Chen Wei-tsung, Taipei Times
“We are Cheng Chieh’s parents. Today is the seventh day. Please forgive us for not being able to pay our respects to the families of the victims. We are ordinary people and do not have ways to find out the information [about the families]. We can only do that [pay respects] later if we have the chance. We really do not know what to do after spending these past few days in torment,” Cheng’s father said.
“We deeply apologize to the victims and the injured for the horrendous crime committed by Cheng Chieh,” the father said.
“He is our child, and his actions have caused unbearable pain to the families of the victims. As his parents who love him, we are utterly disappointed with and have lost faith in him. We have tasted the bitterness of a broken family,” the father said.
Given the severity of the crime, prosecutors are likely to seek the death penalty in the case, he said, adding that this was the consequence his son should face.
“My heart is in pain, but I hope that the judge will quickly put Cheng on trial and rule on the case, and by doing so, give some consolation to the victims,” he said.
“As the parents who raised Cheng for 21 years, we must have made mistakes that we were not aware of. Nevertheless, we have no excuse,” he said. “We hope that Cheng Chieh will be a good man in his next life.”
Family members of 52-year-old Pan Pi-chu (潘碧珠) and 28-year-old Hsieh Ching-yun (解青雲) — both killed in the attack — said that Cheng’s parents should personally pay homage to the victims at their homes, not just in front of the media.
However, the parents of another victim, 26-year-old Chang Cheng-han (張正翰), rejected the idea, saying such a gesture was meaningless and would not bring their son back.
“His [Cheng Chieh] parents did not teach him well and he eventually became society’s problem. Society has paid a great price for his deed,” Chang’s mother said. “This shows that family education is important.”
Meanwhile, the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) held a five-minute-long silence to mourn the victimsat all MRT stations that began at 4:26pm, which is the time the stabbing rampage started.
Words of mourning were displayed on the monitors inside the stations.
“May 21, 2014 was the saddest day in our Metro’s history. Let’s mourn for the loss of lives, pray for those who were injured and strive for a peaceful society. May the Heavens bless Taiwan,” the company said.
In other developments, TRTC general manager Tan Gwa-guang (譚國光) said the families of the four people killed would receive a total of NT$1.6 million (US$53,000) from the company, in addition to NT$4 million from the passenger insurance policies bought by TRTC.
The company would hire attorneys to assist the families seeking indemnifications, and it would cover the costs of both civil and criminal lawsuits, he said.
The MRT cars where the stabbings occurred will not be returned to service until they have undergone spiritual cleansing, he said.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.