Tue, May 06, 2014 - Page 1 News List

Philippines, US begin war games after Obama pledge

Reuters, MANILA

Filipino activists shout anti-US slogans outside the ceremonial opening rites of the Philippines-US War Exercise held at the military camp in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines, yesterday.

Photo: EPA

Thousands of Philippine and US soldiers began annual war games yesterday, the first under a new security pact with the US, focusing on maritime security in the face of China’s growing naval presence in the disputed South China Sea.

The “Balikatan” (shoulder-to-shoulder) joint exercises would test the combat readiness of the two allies in this part of the world to respond to any maritime threats, including piracy and humanitarian assistance and disaster response.

The new security pact was signed last week just hours before US President Barack Obama visited.

Obama said the agreement was a testament to Washington’s “pivot” to Asia and was an “ironclad” commitment to defend the Philippines.

The Philippines has territorial disputes with China over the South China Sea, which is said to be rich in energy deposits and carries about US$5 billion in ship-borne trade every year.

The Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島) in the South China Sea are also claimed by Taiwan, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam.

“Tensions in the Asia-Pacific region have increased due to excessive and expansive maritime and territorial claims, undermining the rule of law,” Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario said at the opening ceremony at the main army base in Manila.

“The aggressive patterns of behavior aimed at changing the status quo threaten peace and stability in the region. Balikatan 2014, with its focus on maritime security, strongly supports our capabilities to address these challenges,” he said.

Asked about the exercises, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying (華春瑩) said all sides needed to work “constructively” to maintain peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region.

On Saturday, a Philippine Navy plane dropped food and water to troops stationed on a transport ship that ran aground on the disputed Second Thomas Shoal (Renai Shoal, 仁愛暗沙) in the South China Sea.

Chinese coast guard ships have set up a blockade around the shoal.

Nearly 5,500 US and Filipino troops are taking part in the two-week drills in different parts of the main island of Luzon.

The war games are to see US F-18 fighters rehearse bombing runs and troops involved in live fire drills.

Under a new security pact, the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, signed last week during Obama’s visit, the US is to have wider access to local bases and construct facilities to store supplies and equipment for 10 years in exchange for increased support on maritime security and humanitarian assistance.

The annual war games come under the 1951 Mutual Defense Treaty, part of a web of security alliances the US built in the Asia-Pacific region during the Cold War.

Dozens of leftwing activists protested outside the main army base in Manila, saying the Americans were using China as a bogeyman to gain a forward base in the Philippines.

“Our armed forces will not modernize just because we conduct war games with US forces,” left-wing group Bayan (Nation) Secretary-General Renato Reyes said.

“Our capacity to defend our territory against China will not be improved just because there are training exercises,” he added.

This story has been viewed 3088 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top