The nation’s first stealth missile corvette was christened yesterday — a development that is expected to give the Republic of China Navy (ROCN) the capability to counter larger enemy warships.
The 500-tonne Tuo River (沱江) is the first of possibly 12 ships to be built locally under the Hsun Hai (迅海, Swift Sea) program.
The twin-hull corvette, described as a “carrier-killer” by local media, has a maximum speed of 38 knots (70kph) and a range of 2,000 nautical miles (3,704km). Its speed and low radar signature allows the corvette to get close to enemy targets, experts said.
The ship, 60.4m in length and 14m wide, carries a crew of 41. Its armaments include Hsiung Feng II and Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missiles.
The newly developed 500-tonne catamaran had been compared to China’s Type 022 Houbei fast attack missile ship, also a catamaran, due to similarities in their design.
When asked about the comparison yesterday, Republic of China Navy Admiral Chen Yung-kang (陳永康) said the Tuo River missile corvette was “infinitely better” than China’s Type 022.
According to Lung De Shipbuilding Co, the Tuo River is a modulated ship and welded together from 40 separately produced parts and sections.
It is also the first catamaran to be constructed from aluminum alloy.
The missile corvette’s range of 2,000 nautical miles would enable it to make a round-trip patrol from Taiwan to Itu Aba (Taiping Island, 太平島) in the South China Sea, the ROCN said.
The addition of the ship would help greatly in routine patrols to the South China Sea region, it added.
Chen also said the impetus in designing the ship was to produce a highly mobile missile corvette with large missile bays and greater range, and with strong striking and stealth capabilities.
“One of the reasons to emphasize building our own naval warships is to upgrade our overall naval defense capabilities, as well as strengthen the navy’s surface-to-surface combat abilities,” Chen said.
Yesterday’s christening ceremony was held indoors in Suao (蘇澳), Yilan County, and the ship is to undergo final tests and reviews before it is officially launched.
It is expected to be deployed in the first half of next year.
In 2011, the legislature approved a NT$24.98 billion (US$853.4 million) budget to fund the construction of between seven and 11 corvettes, but a fleet of 12 ships is expected to be built.
At the start of their first-ever virtual World Health Assembly (WHA), WHO member states agreed to delay a controversial discussion on granting Taiwan observer status until later in the year. The agreement came after WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pledged to launch an independent probe to review the coronavirus pandemic response as soon as possible, and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) announced that China would provide US$2 billion over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout. Despite the US and other members stepping up pressure in recent days, the WHA unanimously agreed to postpone a decision on observer
Another automatic 30-day visa extension for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before March 21 this year has been granted, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) announced yesterday during the Central Epidemic Command Center’s (CECC) daily news briefing. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had granted an initial automatic 30-day visa extension on March 21 for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before that date with a visa waiver, visitor’s visa or landing visa — and another on April 17, as part of tightened border control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. Many foreigners who arrived in Taiwan on holidays or for
PROTEST SENT: Despite a wave of international support Taiwan did not receive an invite, which means that it and all WHO members would lose out, the two ministers said Taiwan deeply regrets and is very dissatisfied that it was not invited to attend the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), which began a virtual meeting yesterday, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said. During the Central Epidemic Command Center’s daily news conference, Chen, who heads the center, said that as of 2pm, Taiwan had not received an invitation to the meeting, which was to begin at 6pm Taiwan time. “We put in our efforts [to get invited] up until the last moment, but it seems that we are unlikely to be invited,
US lawmakers and officials are crafting proposals to push US companies to move operations or key suppliers out of China that include tax breaks, new rules and carefully structured subsidies. Interviews with a dozen current and former government officials, industry executives and members of Congress show widespread discussions underway — including the idea of a “reshoring fund” originally stocked with US$25 billion — to encourage US companies to drastically revamp their relationship with China. US President Donald Trump has long pledged to bring manufacturing back from overseas, but the spread of COVID-19 and related concerns about US medical and food supply chains