Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc (ASE, 日月光半導體) chairman Jason Chang (張虔生) yesterday apologized for the company’s recent wastewater pollution incident and said ASE would donate up to NT$3 billion (US$101 million) over the next 30 years to help promote environmental protection in the nation.
Chang made the remarks after staying behind the scenes for seven days since ASE was fined NT$600,000 by Greater Kaohsiung’s Environmental Protection Bureau on Tuesday last week for discharging toxic wastewater from its biggest plant, known as K7, into the Houjin River (後勁溪).
“ASE will not dodge the responsibility that it must take, nor will the company cover up any employee’s wrongdoing that deserves punishment,” Chang said at a press conference.
Photo: Chang Chung-yi, Taipei Times
Chang reiterated that the company never intended to discharge wastewater illegally, and that it stays committed to social responsibility through environment-related investment.
ASE will donate at least NT$100 million each year, beginning next year, through 2044, he said.
Chang said the company’s daily operation would not be affected, adding that the company has begun constructing a green factory in Greater Kaohsiung’s Nanzih Export Processing Zone at a cost of NT$72 billion and is planning to recruit 16,000 more workers as part of its business expansion plan.
Photo: Lin Cheng-kung, Taipei Times
In addition, ASE is set to launch its new wastewater treatment plant in Greater Kaohsiung as early as the second quarter of next year, he said.
The new wastewater treatment plant is being constructed at a cost of NT$750 million and will be capable of purifying up to 20,000 tonnes of wastewater discharged from ASE’s plants in Greater Kaohsiung, he added.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Economic Affairs yesterday said it supports Greater Kaohsiung’s Environmental Protection Bureau’s penalties for the company’s misconduct.
“In regards to the ASE water-pollution issue, the ministry supports the Environmental Protection Bureau taking the severest measures against ASE,” Minister of Economic Affairs Chang Chia-juch (張家祝) told the legislature’s Economic Committee.
SOLVED: Domestic orders have already overtaken the total sold to China last year, while the Canadian and US representative offices posted messages of support A joint effort by groups and individuals in Taiwan and abroad to prop up sales of pineapples after China announced a ban on imports of the fruit succeeded in just four days, the Council of Agriculture (COA) said yesterday. China on Friday announced that it would suspend imports of Taiwanese pineapples starting on Monday, citing biosafety concerns. Following the announcement, the council urged the public to assist farmers by purchasing pineapples, saying it hoped to sell 20,000 tonnes of the fruit domestically and 30,000 tonnes in exports. “Domestic orders have already surpassed the total sold to China last year,” COA Minister
‘UNFRIENDLY’: COA Minister Chen Chi-chung said that Beijing probably imposed the sanction because the pineapple production season is about to start in Taiwan More than 99 percent of pineapples sold to China passed inspections, the government said yesterday, after China earlier in the day abruptly suspended imports of pineapples from the nation, which Taipei called an “unfriendly” move. From Monday, China is to stop importing pineapples from Taiwan, the Chinese General Administration of Customs said. The regulation is a normal measure for ensuring biosafety, China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Ma Xiaoguang (馬曉光) said in a news release later yesterday. Since last year, Chinese customs officials have repeatedly seized pineapples imported from Taiwan that carried “perilous organisms,” Ma said. Were the organisms to spread in China, they would
Taiwanese netizens and politicians yesterday mocked a Chinese plan to build a transportation network linking Beijing and Taipei, calling it “science fiction” and “daydreaming.” Their comments were in reaction to the Chinese State Council’s release last week of its “Guidelines on the National Comprehensive Transportation Network Plan,” which include several proposed transportation links, with one map showing a line running from China’s Jingjinji Metropolitan Region (Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei) across the Taiwan Strait to Taipei. “This is the Chinese leadership daydreaming again of [fulfilling its] fantasy of extending China’s transportation network to Taiwan. I suggest people regard it as science fiction,” Democratic Progressive
‘ONE PERSON PER UNIT’: People undergoing home isolation cannot stay in a housing unit in which non-isolated people live, unless they have special approval Starting tomorrow, people under home isolation would be required to follow the “one person per housing unit” rule if in private housing, or stay at a quarantine hotel or centralized quarantine facility, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said the rules require people under home quarantine to be quarantined with one person per housing unit, or at a quarantine hotel or centralized quarantine facility. “Starting on March 1, individuals under home isolation will also be subject to the ‘one person per housing unit’ rule,” he said. “We