The family of a British citizen murdered in China, whose death triggered the nation’s biggest political scandals in decades, is seeking compensation of up to US$8.2 million from his convicted killer, the wife of former top Chinese official Bo Xilai (薄熙來), a lawyer with knowledge of the talks said yesterday.
Bo’s wife, Gu Kailai (谷開來), was jailed for life last year for the poisoning of British businessman Neil Heywood in a case that also led to a corruption probe into Bo.
It is customary for a murderer to be ordered to pay court-sanctioned compensation to the victim’s family. A source close to the family said Heywood’s Chinese widow, Wang Lulu (王露露), had been pushing for compensation for herself and their two young children from Gu. Lulu and the children are believed to be still living in Beijing.
Li Xiaolin (李肖霖), a lawyer who has represented Gu’s family in the past, said Heywood’s family was seeking between 30 million yuan and 50 million yuan (US$4.9 million US$8.2 million) in compensation.
“The talks started last year, but have not reached any agreement yet that I know of,” Li told reporters. “Gu Kailai has no money herself.”
Money was not being sought from Bo though as he was not mentioned in Gu’s verdict, Li said.
Bo was sacked as Chinese Communist Party (CCP) secretary of Chongqing last year when his wife was named as an official suspect in the November 2011 murder of Heywood, a longtime friend of the couple.
Bo is now awaiting trial on charges of corruption, taking bribes and of bending the law.The government originally implicated Bo in helping to cover up Heywood’s murder, but the legal indictment issued last month made no mention of that and it is unclear if the case will be included in his trial, likely to start this month.
The British embassy in Beijing said it had passed on the family’s concerns about a lack of progress on the compensation request to the Chinese government.
In a statement to the Wall Street Journal, Heywood’s mother, Ann Heywood, said there had been no progress on seeking compensation.
“Given the circumstances of Neil’s murder, I have been surprised and disappointed that, despite repeated discreet approaches to the Chinese authorities, there has been no substantive or practical response,” she said.
She urged China to show “decisiveness and compassion” to ease the effects of his death on the family, especially his two children, the newspaper added.
Chinese law states that victims of crime can seek compensation from the convicted, but does not lay out monetary benchmarks, which are generally decided by the courts.
However, for such a sensitive case as this, the upper echelons of the CCP would have to sign off on a compensation deal, making any court involvement moot.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We