Six convicts on death row were executed yesterday, the Ministry of Justice announced last night.
The executions were carried out after Minister of Justice Tseng Yung-fu (曾勇夫) signed orders on Wednesday giving the go-ahead for the death sentences to be carried out.
Lin Chin-te (林金德) was executed at Taipei Prison; Chen Jui-chin (陳瑞欽) at Greater Taichung Prison; Chen Tung-jung (陳東榮) at Greater Tainan Prison; and Chang Pao-hui (張胞輝), Chi Chun-i (紀俊毅) and Lee Chia-hsuan (李嘉軒) at Hualien Prison, Deputy Minister of Justice Chen Ming-tang (陳明堂) told a press conference.
Photo: Lin Chun-hung, Taipei Times
Chen Jui-chin was sentenced to death for killing six people for the insurance payments — his three sons, two wives and a third woman.
Chen Tung-jung was convicted of setting fire to a hotel and killing 26 people in then-Tainan City in 1985.
He had been on the run for 25 years before he was captured. A court ruling said he set fire to the hotel because his friend had had a small dispute with a member of staff, and that he did not offer to compensate the victims’ families or show any remorse during the hearings.
Chang had been convicted of breaking into a residence in February 2003, and robbing and murdering an elderly man and his girlfriend. After he was caught, investigators discovered that Chang had also killed his own girlfriend, surnamed Chen, in 2002.
Chi and Lee were convicted for a brutal shootout at a Taichung tea house in 2004. Three people died and two were seriously injured in the incident. The pair also committed two kidnappings before they were caught.
Lin set fire to his girlfriend’s house in Keelung in July 2002, killing three young girls.
Chen Ming-tang said the six who were executed had murdered innocent men, women and children using very cruel methods, including arson.
He said that various surveys have shown public support for the death penalty and he added that a survey released by the ministry in July last year showed that 76.7 percent of respondents supported the death penalty, while a poll released by National Cheng Chung University in January showed that 90 percent of respondents opposed abolishing capital punishment.
No organ donations were made by the six, he added.
Tseng, who took office in 2010, resumed the use of capital punishment after a moratorium of more than four years. Since that time, the minister has signed 21 execution orders.
Following yesterday’s executions, the number of inmates on death row now stands at 56, the ministry said.
Human rights activists criticized the government and vowed to file lawsuits against officials over the ministry’s decision to executive the six inmates.
“The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights have been ratified by the legislature and given status as domestic laws, and the government is supposed to act accordingly,” Covenants Watch covener Kao Yung-cheng (高涌誠) told a press conference at the legislature. “The covenants stipulate that all death-row prisoners have the right to appeal their cases and all the prisoners currently on death row have done so.”
“The ministry has violated the laws by approving the executions before their appeals have been heard,” Kao said.
Judicial Reform Foundation director Kao Chih-jung (高志榮) urged President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to not forget his promise that the two international human rights covenants would enjoy a higher status than domestic laws, and that domestic laws would be invalidated if they contradicted the covenants.
Several human rights groups, including Covenants Watch, Taiwan Alliance to End the Death Penalty and the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, jointly issued a statement condemning the executions, while saying that they would pursue legal action against the ministry officials and civil servants involved in the decisionmaking process.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue