Thousands of US and Filipino troops began annual military exercises yesterday which the Philippines said were vital to building its defense capabilities against the rising threat of China.
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario used the launch of the 12-day Balikatan (shoulder-to-shoulder) maneuvers to accuse China of destabilizing Asia with aggressive and illegal actions in the South China Sea.
“For our region, excessive and exaggerated maritime and territorial claims have not only created uncertainty, but have undermined the rule of law,” Del Rosario said in a speech at the military headquarters in Metro Manila. “Regional peace and stability have been placed at serious risk.”
Del Rosario later told reporters he was referring specifically to China.
China claims most of the South China Sea, including waters and tiny rock outcrops near the coasts of smaller neighbors such as the Philippines.
Tensions have escalated in recent years as China has sought to stamp its authority over the region. The Philippines has accused China of occupying a shoal close to its main island and has appealed to the UN to rule on the validity of Chinese claims to the resource-rich sea.
The Philippines has sought closer diplomatic and military ties with the US, its former colonial ruler, amid the rising tensions.
The two countries share a 61-year-old mutual defense pact, which requires that the US comes to the aid of the Philippines if it is attacked.
Del Rosario said the Balikatan exercises are very important.
“For my country, we need to secure our borders and protect our territorial integrity more vigorously than we have before,” he said. “Balikatan, with its complicated and complete set of exercises, is an important contribution in not only preparing both our armed forces to work together, but also in building my country’s own capacity to defend itself.”
The maneuvers involve more than 8,000 US and Filipino troops, 30 military aircraft, including a dozen US F/A-18 Hornets, and three naval vessels, the two countries said.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang