The Central Weather Bureau warned yesterday that tropical storm Tembin could return early this week, after triggering the worst downpour in over a century on the nation’s southernmost tip.
Tembin, initially categorized as a “severe” typhoon by the Hong Kong Observatory, swept across southern Taiwan on Friday before moving out to sea.
“There is a roughly 50 percent risk that Tembin could affect Taiwan again on Monday or Tuesday, depending on its path,” bureau forecaster Lin Pin-yu (林秉煜) said.
Photo: Tsai Tsung-hsien, Taipei Times
Tembin’s future course hinged partly on Bolaven, a very strong typhoon close to Okinawa which was not expected to head directly to Taiwan, he said.
Tembin unleashed precipitation in southern Pingtung County that was described as the worst in more than a century.
While weather bureau data showed Pingtung as a whole had received 724mm of rain since Wednesday, the township of Hengchun (恆春) saw rainfall of over 600mm on Friday alone.
That was the highest amount of rainfall recorded in Hengchun since 1896, according to the bureau.
Television footage showed scenes from villages in Pingtung County where pedestrians were walking through ankle-deep water, while workers removed debris left by floods.
The latest typhoon left five people injured, including two firefighters, according to the Central Emergency Operation Center.
The weather bureau lifted its land warning earlier yesterday as Tembin moved away and was downgraded to a tropical storm, but warned of more rains in the south.
As of 2:30pm, Tembin was 190km north-northeast of the Dongsha Islands (東沙群島) in the South China Sea.
With a radius of 150km and packing winds gusting at up to 101kph, it was moving west-southwest at 7kph.
About 500 military personnel helped residents in Hengchun clean up flooded areas yesterday.
Tembin caused power outages, road closures and floods, most of which have subsided as of early yesterday. Electricity was scheduled to be restored to all of the more than 30,000 affected households in the Hengchun area by late yesterday.
Meanwhile, the Alishan Highway (Highway No. 18) in Chiayi, which was closed in preparation for Typhoon Tembin, opened to traffic yesterday, but the Alishan Forest Recreation Park remains closed to tourists.
When the popular forest park is to reopen depends on the movement of Tembin, which may make a comeback because of the influence of the nearby Typhoon Bolaven, according to the Chiayi Forest District Office.
According to the Council of Agriculture, the total agricultural damage caused by Tembin has reached an estimated NT$116.39 million as of 3pm yesterday.
So far, the damage in Taitung County has reached about NT$51.17 million, followed by Hualien County with estimated damages of NT$36.8 million and damage in Pingtung County reaching NT$27.81 million, the council said.
The total crop damage has reached NT$63.39 million, with 1,224 hectares of farmland affected.
The crops that suffered most were custard apples, with losses estimated at NT$27.95 (US$3.9 million) million, and bananas with losses of NT$12.96 million, followed by other fruit, ginger and watermelons.
Damage caused to the fishing and aquaculture industries has reached about NT$18.25 million, with the most damage caused in fish farms at Pingtung’s Checheng Township (車城).
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South