Clashes between security forces and protesters left several people wounded across Bahrain’s Shiite villages ahead of its controversial Formula One (F1) Grand Prix as authorities beefed up security for the first practice sessions yesterday.
“Eighteen people were wounded” when security forces fired buckshot and tear gas to disperse overnight protests in Shiite villages, Bahrain Youth Society for Human Rights president Mohammed Maskati said.
Witnesses said the clashes in villages located far from the Sakhir circuit, where practice sessions started at 7am GMT for tomorrow’s Formula One race, continued into the early morning.
Met by tear gas, sound bombs and buckshot, the protesters hurled Molotov cocktails at security forces, witnesses said.
The protests were “a message to those taking part in the F1 race to bring their attention to human rights violations in Bahrain,” Muscati said, adding that “95 people have been arrested since April 14.”
The protesters burned tires, briefly blocking several main roads leading to the Sakhir circuit, witnesses said.
A Molotov cocktail exploded late on Wednesday near Force India team members during clashes between protesters and security forces. The incident prompted one team member, not involved in the incident, and a contractor hired by the team, to return home despite reassurances by officials that Bahrain was safe.
Speaking to reporters at the Sakhir circuit, Formula One Grand Prix Drivers’ Association chairman Pedro de la Rosa said on Thursday that safety was “not a concern.”
Caught up in a clash between protesters and police on the motorway from Manama to Sakhir, four members of the Force India team were stuck in traffic when a fire bomb exploded as they returned from the circuit to their hotel late on Wednesday.
Nobody was injured.
The Feb. 14 Youth Movement has called on social networking sites for “three days of rage” to coincide with the event.
Bahrain’s main opposition group, Al-Wefaq, called for a week of daily protests during the Grand Prix, to focus media attention on their longstanding demands for greater equality in the Sunni-ruled kingdom.
Earlier this week, hundreds of protesters carrying banners held a demonstration near Bahrain’s international airport as the race teams flew in.
The Bahrain Grand Prix was canceled last year in the wake of a Shiite-led uprising against the Sunni monarchy and government crackdown that followed in which a government commission said 35 people were killed.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying