A backlog of costly arms acquisitions by Taiwan could be forcing the navy to cut back on requests for frigates from the US, which threatens to exacerbate the widening tonnage gap in the Taiwan Strait as the nation decommissions ageing vessels.
Citing a Taiwanese defense industry source, Defense News said in a report published this week that the navy could request two — rather than four, as initially planned — decommissioned long-hull Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates as excess defense articles (EDA) from the US.
The article said the plan to acquire the four frigates was cancelled late last year because of cost and technical considerations, adding that the military was struggling to pay for roughly US$18 billion in weapons released by the US in the past four years.
Photo: Jimmy Chuang, Taipei Times
Although China Shipbuilding Corp (中船) is capable of building Perry-class frigates — it has built eight so far, known locally as Cheng Kung-class — the source told Defense News that acquisitions from the US would be the quickest and least costly way to add the much-needed vessels to the navy. Building them would cost upwards of US$2 billion, the source said, much higher than the “near-scrap” price under EDA, even when refurbishment and upgrade costs are added.
The Ministry of National Defense denied there were plans to request fewer frigates from the US because of budgetary considerations and added it was in negotiations to ensure the acquisition were fully operational rather than semi-complete or empty shells.
Still, the navy will be forced to decommission aging frigates in the coming years. Its eight 3,800-tonne Knox-class frigates, acquired from the US in the 1990s after nearly 20 years of service in the US Navy, are due for replacement, but so far such plans appear to have stalled.
If replacements are not found, the navy will be down to 18 vessels with more than 3,800-tonne displacement — four Kidd-class destroyers, eight Perry-class frigates and six La Fayette-class frigates — Defense News said. This would continue a downward trend in tonnage for the navy, which went from 43 destroyers and frigates above 3,000 tonnes during the 1996 Missile Crisis, 39 in 2000 and 18 after the Knox-class frigates are taken out of service.
Plans to produce smaller vessels in the 2,000-tonne range also appear to have been cancelled due to budget problems.
Since Taiwan’s acquisition of the Knox-class frigates, the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has commissioned a number of heavy-class destroyers and frigates, both Russian-made or domestically produced. According to Jane’s Fighting Ships 2011-2012, by next year, the PLAN could have at least 28 destroyers and frigates with displacement of more than 3,000 tonnes, with possibly more in production.
While not all of the PLAN’s combat vessels are intended for a Taiwan contingency, the balance of power at sea in the Taiwan Strait continues to shift in China’s favor, especially if no way is found to replace vessels that are due for decommissioning.
Some navy analysts, including James Holmes of the US Naval War College, have argued that rather than embark on a tonne-for-tonne race with China, Taiwan should focus its efforts and finite budgets on developing fast-attack craft such as the 170-tonne Kuang Hua VI missile boat.
So far, 31 KH-6s, divided in three squadrons, have entered service.
HEATED TRAFFIC: As Beijing holds naval drills near Taiwan, the Ministry of National Defense said it had a full grasp of the situation and would handle it ‘appropriately’ A Chinese carrier group exercising near Taiwan is part of what are to be regular drills, the Chinese navy said in a statement late on Monday, further escalating tensions between Taipei and Beijing. The group, including the aircraft carrier Liaoning, was conducting “routine” drills in the waters around Taiwan, a move to “enhance its capability to safeguard national sovereignty, safety and development interests,” the statement said. “Similar exercises will be conducted regularly,” it said, without elaborating. The statement came after the Ministry of National Defense earlier on Monday issued a statement regarding a rise in the number of incursions by Chinese jets into
AIMED AT TAIWAN? Institute for National Defense and Security Research research fellow Ou Si-fu said chips can be ‘bought off the shelf’ and then used in weapons The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday said that chips from Taiwanese semiconductor companies were not making their way into Chinese missiles “to the best of our knowledge.” A report in yesterday’s Washington Post alleged that a Chinese company named Phytium Technology Co (飛騰) used chips made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), along with US software, in advanced Chinese military systems. “TSMC has long placed strict controls on their chips. The export of high-tech products from Taiwan is also highly regulated,” Minister of Economic Affairs Wang Mei-hua (王美花) said. “According to our understanding, none of the end uses for those products
NO TIME: The driver tried to apply the brakes when he saw the truck, but the train did not have time to come to a full stop, an investigation report said The crane truck that caused last week’s fatal train accident had slid onto the tracks about one-and-a-half minutes before it was struck, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. The board had launched an investigation into the derailment, which killed 50 people and injured 211 people, making it the nation’s most devastating railway accident in decades. Carrying 494 passengers and four Taiwan Railways Administration personnel, the southbound express train to Taitung hit the truck as it was about to enter the Cingshuei Tunnel (清水隧道) in Hualien’s Sioulin Township (秀林). The train derailed following the collision, with the left side of the eighth
TAROKO INCIDENT: The committee would regulate how public donations for victims of Friday’s train accident, which have exceeded NT$60 million, would be used The government has collected about NT$60 million (US$2.1 million) in donations through Line Pay and convenience stores for victims of last week’s fatal train accident and plans to establish an oversight committee to determine how the funds should be used to help them, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The accident occurred at 9:28am on Friday, when a southbound Taroko Express train traveling from New Taipei City to Taitung hit a crane truck that had slid down a hill from a nearby construction site onto the rails as the train was about to enter the Cingshuei Tunnel