Wed, Dec 30, 2009 - Page 1 News List

Obama calls for review of airline safety procedures

AP , HONOLULU

US President Barack Obama has ordered a review of how US intelligence organizations keep the skies safe — or don’t, as demonstrated by a failed Christmas Day attack on a Detroit-bound flight from Amsterdam.

Obama has not yet tapped someone to head the multi-agency probe, but White House officials acknowledge the recent incident involving a 23-year-old Nigerian with alleged ties to terrorists has made clear there are plenty of failed areas to examine.

The suspect, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, was on one advisory list, but never caught the attention of US counter-terrorist screeners despite his father’s warnings to US embassy officials in Nigeria last month.

“The gathering of information, as it relates to the watch lists, has begun,” said Denis McDonough, the chief of staff to the National Security Council. “We began to gather that data, and we’ll continue to gather more.”

But no one is yet running the investigation, said McDonough, one of the president’s top advisers, who spoke to reporters traveling with Obama in Hawaii.

The separate Obama-ordered review of security procedures facing the millions of airline travelers each year is under way under the authority of the Homeland Security Department.

That probe, officials said, centers on how Abdulmutallab was able to get aboard a US-bound plane with materials that might have brought down the plane during its final hour in the air.

Calling Abdulmutallab’s action an “attempted act of terrorism,” Obama vowed on Monday to “do everything that we can to keep America safe.”

“The United States will more than simply strengthen our defenses. We will continue to use every element of our national power to disrupt, to dismantle and defeat the violent extremists who threaten us,” he said.

Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the thwarted attack as retaliation for a US operation against the group in Yemen. A statement posted on the Internet by the group said Abdulmutallab coordinated with members of the group and used explosives manufactured by al-Qaeda members.

McDonough said the US had not authenticated the posting.

“We have no independent verification of that claim, but obviously the president has made very clear — now, over the course of several months — his concern about al-Qaeda affiliates, the rise of global extremist organizations and al-Qaeda affiliates in other countries,” McDonough said.

Also See: Yemen confirms alleged hijacker just left country

Also See: Body scanners revisited after failed plane attack

Also See: Why air attacks are a top priority for terror groups

This story has been viewed 4049 times.
TOP top