Russian gas export monopoly Gazprom said yesterday that Ukraine had blocked shipments of Russian gas to Europe.
“This morning Gazprom began realizing its plan to restore gas deliveries to Europe. Ukraine blocked all our actions,” the company’s deputy chief, Alexander Medvedev, was quoted by news agency Interfax as saying. “This is a violation of all our previous agreements. Under such conditions, we cannot physical carry out gas transit via Ukrainian territory.”
Russia resumed supplies of gas to Europe at 10am yesterday after observer teams were in place to measure gas under an EU-brokered deal between Moscow and Kiev, who blame each other for the disruptions of supplies to Europe.
Ria-Novosti news agency quoted an anonymous observer as saying the pressure had risen greatly at the Russian Sudzha gas compressor station, but was “zero” entering Ukrainian pipelines.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev had given Gazprom the go-ahead to again cut supplies if it believed Ukraine was siphoning off gas meant for Europe.
Moscow and Kiev have not yet resolved the contractual dispute that sparked the crisis on Jan. 1, meaning none of yesterday’s gas flows were to supply Ukraine.
The row, which left EU countries struggling to find energy supplies as temperatures dropped below freezing, is still not fully resolved.
Even before the Russian taps were opened, some Russian officials warned of delays in Ukraine.
“As soon as we start pumping the gas at the entry point, it should appear at the exit point,” Gazprom’s Sergei Kupriyanov said in a statement ahead of the opening.
Kupriyanov said there was still gas in the pipelines even though supply had been completely cut off since last Wednesday, and that this should ensure that gas supplies flow more quickly.
“Comments by Ukraine that 36 hours are needed from the arrival of transit gas from Russia into Ukraine’s gas network until it reaches Ukraine’s western border evoke disbelief and do not meet the current contract,” he said. “From the start of supplies of Russian gas at the entry point into Ukraine’s gas transport system, the volume of gas exiting from the western border of Ukraine must correspond exactly to the quantity supplied.”
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very