Just one day after Minister of the Department of Health (DOH) Yeh Ching-chuan (葉金川) guaranteed that all food products on store shelves are safe, the department said traces of melamine had been found in six types of Nestle milk powder manufactured in China.
The department ordered a recall of all 20 Nestle milk products on the local market, even though it said the melamine levels found were too small to pose a health threat.
“The quantity of the chemical was very small, so the products are still safe and will not have any effects on health. But to protect consumers’ rights and safety, we have asked the company to pull all its milk powder products from stores,” Yeh told a press conference yesterday.
He said that most of the products would be removed from shelves within 24 hours.
A random test conducted by local health bureaus found 0.06 parts per million (ppm) to 0.85ppm of melamine in the milk powder made between February last year and this June by the Shuangcheng Nestle company in Helongjiang Province, Yeh said.
Nestle, which also produces Klim milk power, is one of the leading brands for infant and adult milk products in Taiwan.
Yeh said Nestle milk powder had tested negative for melamine before the health department decided to employ its most sensitive test — liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) — to check melamine levels.
LC-MS/MS can detect melamine levels as low as 0.05ppm, the department said.
The health department said on Wednesday that samples of all imported and locally made dairy products would be tested using LC-MS/MS, and only those that tested negative for melamine would be allowed on the market.
Nestle milk products were previously classified as safe, as they were tested by means of a less sensitive technique than LC-MS/MS, said Yeh, adding that the products would not damage the public’s health.
Yeh said that the department would invite experts from Japan, the US and the EU to discuss the food safety issue in the next few days in the hope that Taiwan’s regulations could be brought in line with international standards for melamine content.
“The whole [made-in-China contamination] issue has highlighted the urgent need for Taiwan’s meaningful participation in the Word Health Organization,” Yeh said.
The Nestle products, along with the products of another 17 importers from China, were allowed on the market late last month after they were tested for melamine. Yeh did not rule out the possibility that products from the other 17 companies may pose problems.
The department had earlier raised the acceptable level for melamine content in food to 2.5ppm. But the revision caused panic among consumers, who argued for a “zero content” standard, leading to the resignation of former DOH minister Lin Fang-yue (林芳郁) last week.
With Taiwan’s safety standard for melamine reset at “undetectable,” products that contain from 0.05ppm to 2.4ppm of the chemical may not be allowed on store shelves.
As the employees at a local branch of Hypermarket Geant yesterday pulled the Nestle milk products off shelves, an 82-year-old customer who declined to give his full name complained that the officials’ flip-flopping had left the public confused.
“I’ve been drinking Nestle and Klim’s milk [powders] for years, and I don’t know what brand I should choose now,” he said.
While promising it would ask its distributors to pull the six products, Nestle Taiwan Ltd (台灣雀巢) criticized the government for setting the new limit at 0.05ppm, a fifty-fold increase from 2.5ppm, which the company said was accepted internationally.
“As an international firm operating in Taiwan, Nestle Taiwan wants to emphasize that there is absolutely no addition of melamine in our products,” Gary Liang (梁家瑞), director of legal and corporate affairs at Nestle Taiwan, told a press conference in Taipei yesterday.
Liang also urged the government to establish a benchmark that was scientifically based and in line with international standards.
Nestle Taiwan said that its losses would amount to NT$1 billion (US$31.2 million) from the beginning of the tainted milk powder scandal to the end of the year.
The company’s shares of the adult milk powder and infant milk powder markets are 40 percent and 10 percent respectively.
“Our milk powder found to contain melamine this time was mostly adult milk powder manufactured in Heilongjiang, whereas our infant milk powder is imported from Europe,” Liang said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY AFP, JERRY LIN AND MO YAN-CHIH
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very