A Seoul court yesterday ordered the South Korean government to pay almost US$26 million in compensation to families of eight pro-democracy activists executed on fabricated treason charges three decades ago.
The bereaved families will receive a total 24.5 billion won (US$25.6 million), court officials said.
"We welcome the court's verdict in the name of the bereaved families and history," the plaintiffs said in a statement.
The eight were executed in April 1975, less than a day after the South Korean Supreme Court found them guilty of trying to rebuild the Inhyeokdang pro-Communist party.
Their families had long asked that the case be reopened, saying that dictator Park Chung-hee had concocted the case to crack down on pro-democracy movements.
In January, the Seoul court found the eight not guilty of conspiring to form an underground pro-communist group to overthrow the government.
Following the landmark ruling, the bereaved families filed suit against the government.
The government had refused to pay compensation, insisting the statute of limitations had expired.
However, the court ruled in favor of the plaintiffs, saying:"The court cannot agree that the Republic of Korea, the defendant that should help its people seek the right to happiness ... should try to avoid its responsibility with a clumsy excuse of the statute of limitations."
Reacting to the ruling, a statement by the families said: "The truth reveals itself however hard they try to cover it up. The ruling showed the immortal truth that justice will always win."
MAKING A MOVE: Starting on Monday, short-term business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods, while transits of up to eight hours would be allowed The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced an easing of restrictions that would from Monday next week allow foreigners to visit or make a transit flight in Taiwan. A policy allowing short-term business travelers from countries with low or medium risks of COVID-19 infections to apply for shorter quarantine periods is also to resume that day. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to be extended after the end of this month, special conditions for foreign nationals to enter Taiwan would be restored from Monday. Foreign nationals
‘UNFRIENDLY’: COA Minister Chen Chi-chung said that Beijing probably imposed the sanction because the pineapple production season is about to start in Taiwan More than 99 percent of pineapples sold to China passed inspections, the government said yesterday, after China earlier in the day abruptly suspended imports of pineapples from the nation, which Taipei called an “unfriendly” move. From Monday, China is to stop importing pineapples from Taiwan, the Chinese General Administration of Customs said. The regulation is a normal measure for ensuring biosafety, China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Ma Xiaoguang (馬曉光) said in a news release later yesterday. Since last year, Chinese customs officials have repeatedly seized pineapples imported from Taiwan that carried “perilous organisms,” Ma said. Were the organisms to spread in China, they would
Taiwanese netizens and politicians yesterday mocked a Chinese plan to build a transportation network linking Beijing and Taipei, calling it “science fiction” and “daydreaming.” Their comments were in reaction to the Chinese State Council’s release last week of its “Guidelines on the National Comprehensive Transportation Network Plan,” which include several proposed transportation links, with one map showing a line running from China’s Jingjinji Metropolitan Region (Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei) across the Taiwan Strait to Taipei. “This is the Chinese leadership daydreaming again of [fulfilling its] fantasy of extending China’s transportation network to Taiwan. I suggest people regard it as science fiction,” Democratic Progressive
‘ONE PERSON PER UNIT’: People undergoing home isolation cannot stay in a housing unit in which non-isolated people live, unless they have special approval Starting tomorrow, people under home isolation would be required to follow the “one person per housing unit” rule if in private housing, or stay at a quarantine hotel or centralized quarantine facility, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said the rules require people under home quarantine to be quarantined with one person per housing unit, or at a quarantine hotel or centralized quarantine facility. “Starting on March 1, individuals under home isolation will also be subject to the ‘one person per housing unit’ rule,” he said. “We