Journalist Andrew Gilligan, whose story that the British government had "sexed up" the risk from Iraqi weapons was criticized in an inquiry as unfounded, has resigned from the BBC, arguing the report was largely right. \nAnalysts said Gilligan's resignation might put an end to a feud between the government and the BBC, where two top figures have resigned since the inquiry led by Lord Hutton took the public broadcaster to task. \nBut some British newspapers yesterday renewed calls for a full inquiry into the intelligence Prime Minister Tony Blair's government drew on to persuade parliament and the public to follow the US to war. \nGilligan maintained in his resignation statement on Friday that his report that the government knowingly exaggerated the threat posed by Iraq to justify the war was mostly right. \n"If Lord Hutton had fairly considered the evidence he heard, he would have concluded that most of my story was right. The government did sex up the dossier, transforming possibilities and probabilities into certainties, removing vital caveats," he said. \nHutton's inquiry examined the events leading up to the death of British Iraq weapons expert David Kelly who killed himself in July after being unmasked as the source of Gilligan's report. \nIn an editorial, the Times newspaper said yesterday there was no "credible reason" for resisting calls to hold a full inquiry into the intelligence the government published on Iraq. \n"Tony Blair should realize that the longer he holds out against it, the more damage he will do to the war on terror he has bravely championed," it said. \nDavid Kay, former head of the US hunt for Iraq's banned weapons, said last week he did not believe biological and chemical weapons stockpiles existed, and Condoleezza Rice, US President George W. Bush's national security adviser, has acknowledged there may have been flaws in the intelligence. \nBush himself said on Friday he was seeking clarity over the intelligence reports. \nBlair's foes, many commentators and large parts of the public were bewildered at the wholesale bill of health Hutton handed the government compared with his censure of the BBC. \nAnti-war campaigners from the Stop the War coalition were due to protest at Blair's Downing Street offices later yesterday over what they describe as Hutton's "whitewash." \nLord Hutton lambasted BBC management procedures as "defective," leading to the resignations of BBC Director General Greg Dyke on Thursday and chairman of the board of governors Gavyn Davies on Wednesday. \nThe BBC apologized unreservedly on Thursday and British Prime Minister Tony Blair declared an end to the feud. \nProfessor Stephen Barnet, of the University of Westminster, said: "It would be nice to think that with this final, third resignation that we really could draw a line under the whole thing." \nThe BBC's acting director general Mark Byford would not comment directly on whether there would be more BBC resignations, telling BBC television late on Friday: \n"The BBC this week has faced the resignation of the chairman, the resignation of the director general, the resignation of that reporter. \n"Now there is a still process going on involving others. It'll be done as speedily as possible and that's all I can say."
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South