South Korea's parliament overrode a presidential veto yesterday -- the first such vote in nearly half a century -- to open an independent investigation into corruption allegations against former aides of embattled President Roh Moo-hyun.
The move deepens a showdown between the opposition-dominated parliament and a Roh government increasingly besieged by scandal.
Roh outraged lawmakers last week when he vetoed legislation to appoint an independent counsel to look into corruption charges against three former staffers.
Opposition parties boycotted the National Assembly, freezing deliberation on next year's government budget and the country's plan to send up to 3,000 troops to Iraq to help US forces there.
Yesterday's override, the first since 1954, was carried live on national television. It not only clears the way for the probe, but puts parliament back on track to handle those issues and 1,100 other bills pending.
Wheeled in the chambers for the vote was a gaunt Choe Byung-ryol, head of the main opposition Grand National Party. On Day Nine of a hunger strike against Roh's veto, he appeared in a wheelchair yesterday apparently to underline his weakened condition and dedication to the cause.
The nation's three opposition parties hold a combined 219 seats in the 272-member National Assembly, more than the two-thirds majority needed to override a presidential veto. The parliament initially had passed the bill with more than two-thirds support, and it passed again yesterday with a vote of 209 to 54.
"It is regretful to set a negative precedent of interfering with the prosecution's right to investigate for political purposes," Roh's spokesman Yoon Tae-young said.
Roh said he vetoed the legislation because it was premature to appoint an independent counsel while an investigation by state prosecutors continued.
The opposition says it cannot trust state prosecutors. It believes an independent counsel's probe would highlight shady dealings of Roh's government and boost opposition chances in April's parliamentary elections.
Choi Do-sool, Roh's aide for 20 years, was arrested last month and accused of receiving 1.1 billion won (US$956,000) in bribes from SK Group, a scandal-plagued South Korean conglomerate.
Two other former presidential aides, Lee Kwang-jae and Yang Gil-seung, are also accused of accepting bribes and illegal donations for Roh's election campaign last year. They deny any wrongdoing.
On the eve of the vote, Roh suffered another embarrassment when prosecutors arrested a key campaign backer.
Kang Keum-won, a businessman who owns a textile company in South Korea and is a major financial supporter of Roh, was arrested late Wednesday night on charges of tax evasion and misappropriating 5 billion won (US$4.1 million) in company money between 1999 and last year, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said they are also investigating 950 million won (US$792,000) the businessman lent to Seon Bong-sul, a childhood friend of Roh's, during last year's presidential campaign, a move local media say may have violated political funding laws.
Roh has been grappling with scandals involving his aides and a hostile parliament since he took office in February. Hoping for a fresh popular mandate to rejuvenate his political reform programs, Roh proposed a referendum on his tenure and promised to resign if he fares poorly.
But it is uncertain whether such a referendum can take place, amid disputes over its legality. Opposition leaders have said they would support the vote only after a full investigation into Roh's aides is complete.
Roh's approval ratings are weak, but polls still indicate South Koreans would support him in a referendum for the sake of political stability.
The last time the parliament overrode a veto was in 1954 when then-president Syngman Rhee dismissed a criminal procedure bill allowing the legislature to demand the release of a lawmaker in custody. Lawmakers said it was needed to prevent the government from exploiting judicial power to suppress the opposition.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very